Memories From a Long Time Ago

Started by Wilma, January 08, 2012, 11:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Daughter just took a chicken out of the oven, complete with giblets.  As I filched a liver, I was reminded of why the gizzard was my piece of chicken when I was very young.

I have a younger brother.  I think I have mentioned him before.  He was so little that he wasn't talking yet.  If we had chicken, I was always given the liver as it was easy and safe for me to eat by myself.  One day some one asked me when it would be Dody's turn to have the liver.  (That is Dody with a long O because I couldn't say Dale.  He had to live with that all through high school).  My reply was that when he could ask for it.  The next time we had chicken, the little traitor asked for it.  Since then, the gizzard has been mine.

Not always though, because as we all got older and I mean we were grandparents ourselves, the gizzard would never make it to the table.  No matter how well I watched that platter, the gizzard would disappear.

patyrn

When I was growing up, the chicken heart was always the "delicacy" we fought over.  Now I wonder why we even bothered............

Janet Harrington

I think that the gizzard would disappear before it ever reached the table because I was pretty good about getting it before the chicken hit the table. LOL

Wilma

Jane

:D To this day I still think the livers are the best part of the chicken, well the legs are next. :laugh:

larryJ

When I married and had kids in the early years, my wife insisted on eating the dark meat and also fed dark meat to the kids.  I was left the breast meat.   So, now I eat only the white meat.  However, one dish that I learned how to make was coated thighs and I do eat those. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Wilma on January 08, 2012, 02:02:21 PM
Yeah, you and your Uncle Dody.

And what's even funny is, I never knew you called him Dody. That's too good of information to have, you know.

Wilma

Well, I did give it up when he got married.  Seemed a bit juvenile by then.

Janet Harrington

Well, I can't wait until I see him again, so I can call him that. LOL
;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk