Quake Tremors in Bartlesville

Started by frawin, November 05, 2011, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

We were awakened in the night by slight Eathquake tremors. Fortunately Bartlesville was on the outer perimeter and had no damage.

Judy Harder

Lately I have been hearing more sonic booms............and some of them feel like earthquakes.
How different was the tremor you felt than one of the s bs..........I am not eager to experience one,
just wondering in type.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Judy, it was nothing like a Sonic Boom to me. It was quiet outside and all of a sudden the Windows started to rattle and there was an ever so light vibration, it didn't last long. I first thought the wind was blowing really hard, but our windows have never vibrated before and then I realized it was Eathquake tremors.

larryJ

There are many different types of earth tremors.  Living in SoCal over the years, I have experienced all types.  There is the sudden jolt followed by fading tremors.  There is the rolling motion where you feel like a slight lifting sensation also followed by fading rolling.  There is the "sonic boom" type where you hear a loud noise followed by shaking.  Sometimes when the space shuttle would land at Edwards AFB nearby, the shuttle would break the sound barrier on reentry overhead and cause the windows to rattle.  Of course, if you knew the shuttle was landing, you would kind of expect that.  The first time it happened to me I thought it was an earthquake. 

Earthquakes or tremors can happen anywhere and on any scale.  The west coast is on a major fault line so we get most of the notoriety.  But there have been several big ones in the Midwest such as the New Madrid quake way back when.  Then again, a sonic boom can occur many miles away so that you don't really hear the boom, but experience some window rattling.  It will be interesting if your local news does report a quake.

Our local paper has a little column on page two each day which lists all quakes in the past 24 hours.  All of these are less than 2.0 on the Richter scale and are not felt and all occur out in the desert to the south and east of us.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Looking at the Internet, there was an earthquake, 5.1 on the Richter scale, centered around Norman.  It was said to be felt in five states including SE Kansas.  Initially, it was a 4.3, but has been upgraded to a 5.1.

Larryj

frawin

Larry the local news did report a Quake, the following is from the Tulsa World:
Updated at 8:52 AM

Latest Headlines  
Updated at 8:52 AM
Earthquakes shake Oklahoma early Saturday
By Staff Reports

A magnitude 4.7 earthquake rattled structures shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday. The quake was followed a few minutes later by smaller aftershocks.

frawin

My neighbor says itwasn't an Earthquake it was Bob Stoops firing up the Sooners to take on Texas A&M.

larryJ

Your neighbor is probably right!  All them big guys jumping up and down warming up for the game.

Which reminded me that since I have less contact with my relatives in Texas (passed on) I don't get to hear any Aggie jokes anymore.

Anybody?

Larryj

larryJ

You know, like.............

Did you hear about the two Aggies who ran into a bar?

The second one should have seen it coming.

Or............

An Aggie went horseback riding and the horse got out of control.  The Aggie began to fall off the horse, but his foot was caught in the stirrup and the horse kept going while the Aggie's head was bouncing on the ground.

Just when the Aggie was starting to lose conscious, a K-Mart employee came out and unplugged the machine.

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk