Happy Birthday Elvis

Started by Warph, August 16, 2011, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Well, this is about par for the course from a candidate running for President of the United States.  Gee, lets all vote for her. 

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) - Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann got her Elvis Presley dates all shook up during a campaign stop Tuesday in South Carolina.

The congresswoman from Minnesota played the Elvis tune "Promised Land" at a local restaurant and told the crowd of 300 that she wanted to say happy birthday to the king of rock 'n' roll.

"Before we get started, let's all say happy birthday to Elvis Presley today!" Bachmann said.

But Aug. 16 is the anniversary of Elvis' death, in 1977, and someone in the crowd shouted back, "He died today!"

Bachmann didn't respond and launched into her speech.

She didn't miss a beat on the Elvis front either. As she signed autographs, she paused for a brief shag dance with one of her fans.
By the time she arrived in Greenville, South Carolina Tuesday afternoon, Rep. Michele Bachmann finally had her facts straight.
"Today is the day," she observed in somber tones, that "we observe the passing of Elvis Presley." Bachmann corrected herself as she spoke with reporters, noting the date marked Presley's passing, not his birth. He was born on Jan. 8, 1935. "As far as we're concerned, he's still alive in our hearts," Bachmann said.

Bachmann has stumbled over cultural references before. In June, she kicked off her presidential campaign in Waterloo, Iowa, calling it the home of American actor John Wayne. The town was actually home for a time to serial killer John Wayne Gacy.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Humpy

Not quite as stupid as the Lawn Jockey saying he had been in all but one of the 57 states.

thatsMRSc2u

actually just AS stupid.

This really brings to the front somethin that REALLY bugs me about politicians.......it's the " ah hell fellers I'm just a regular joe/jane" bullshit they roll out every time there is an election. They all pack away the armani suits and italian leather shoes and borrow some "regular feller" clothes from somebody, roll up their sleeves like they actually broke a sweat at some time in their life and start talkin down to the "common folks" tryin to convince us they are just like us...like they have to worry about havin enough money to make it till payday and "know what it's like" for us "regular people". " Just put your trust in me and I will DO the job........blah blah blah......blah" BULLshit

jarhead

Why hell Pam, then you ought to like ol Newt. His trophy bride keeps him as poor as a church mouse shopping at Tiffanies all the time ;D

Anmar

Quote from: thatsMRSc2u on August 17, 2011, 01:23:44 PM
actually just AS stupid.

This really brings to the front somethin that REALLY bugs me about politicians.......it's the " ah hell fellers I'm just a regular joe/jane" bullshit they roll out every time there is an election. They all pack away the armani suits and italian leather shoes and borrow some "regular feller" clothes from somebody, roll up their sleeves like they actually broke a sweat at some time in their life and start talkin down to the "common folks" tryin to convince us they are just like us...like they have to worry about havin enough money to make it till payday and "know what it's like" for us "regular people". " Just put your trust in me and I will DO the job........blah blah blah......blah" BULLshit

if I remember correctly,  this particular candidate was a tax attorney.  Just what we need in the white house, someone who helps big corporations and rich people get out of paying their taxes....
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Humpy

Anmar your class envy is showing. My business uses CPAs and tax lawyers all the time just to keep the Imperial Marxist gov. of today from stealing more money than they already do.
If you work, do you work for a poor man or munch a government tit? Business has the obligation to keep as much money as they can, so they can grow and create new jobs. I think there should never be a limit on how much you can earn .

Warph

Quote from: Humpy on August 17, 2011, 02:31:07 PM
Anmar your class envy is showing. My business uses CPAs and tax lawyers all the time just to keep the Imperial Marxist gov. of today from stealing more money than they already do.
If you work, do you work for a poor man or munch a government tit? Business has the obligation to keep as much money as they can, so they can grow and create new jobs. I think there should never be a limit on how much you can earn .

Amen, Humpy.. a big AMEN!

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Anmar

Quote from: Humpy on August 17, 2011, 02:31:07 PM

I'm assuming by your post count that you're new.  I owned a small business also, and we had a CPA like any small business.  I sold my business last year and I'm currently working for a large corporation. 

Unfortunately, your theory of businesses reinvesting is outdated and incorrect.  This has been the failed economic model of the last 30 years and where has it gotten us?  Are you happy with the current economic situation?  Are you going to tell me its all Obama's fault? Really?  Who's controlled the government for the majority of the last 30 years, which party?  Our best economic times in the last 30 years were in the 90's.  It was the only time that we had a balanced budget.  Who was in the white house then?

The reality is that these corporations cheat the government and the people out of money, then send that cash overseas to hire foreign workers, and invest in foreign interests.  They are also keeping larger and larger sums in cash for the owners and execs.  Stop living your life in the 70's.  We don't make anything here anymore.  There are no factories here to hire people.  Any new growth from large corporations is not going to be done here in the states.

Also, pretty sure you should go look up marxism.  Your use of the word implies you don't know its meaning.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Hefe de vaca

Don't mess with the Warph thread  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk