Fixing a Flat

Started by W. Gray, August 25, 2011, 05:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Anyone recall fixing a flat tire in the old days? I barely do and I seem to have fixed my last one when I was 17.

Actually, one did not fix a flat tire but fixed a leaking inner tube.

The nail or other puncturing device had to be located and pulled from the tire. The tire then had to be taken off the tire rim with one or two special tools that were part of the jack kit. If this was not done carefully the inner tube could be damaged causing even more problems.

After separating the tire from the rim, the inner tube was pulled out of the tire and inspected to determine the location of the leak. Sometimes the inner tube had to be pumped up with a hand pump to find a slow leak.

A patch kit consisting of a rubber patch, a small metallic scraper, and some obnoxious smelling glue used to seal the hole. The area around the leak was prepared for the patch by using the scrapper (or sandpaper) to clean and prepare the area for the patch adhesive. The patch was then applied with the glue over the leak.

The tube was then inflated and inspected to see if the patch held properly or to determine if there were any other leaks. Sometimes the tube was immersed in water to check for leaks.

After all the leaks were fixed, the inner tube was deflated and then packed back inside the tire. Using the tire iron, the tire was worked inside the tire rim on both sides. Then the tube was again inflated and the tire placed back on the car.

Many people seemed to fix their own tires to save money. In the 1950s, the cost of repairing a flat at station was around 50 to 75 cents. Nowadays, fixing a tubeless tire seems to run up to $20 or more.

Inner tubes were important to some in the old days because they were used as a floating device to go tubin' down the river or used as a floatation device at the local swimming hole.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Hefe de vaca

I do recall the old days of dealing with a flat. Can still do it in a pinch, but don't like to. Now I deal with making sure I don't need one fixed at Bill and Patsy Lannings unless I go in when he's in a good mood, just kidding Bill. He is the local lifesaver when it comes to flats, and even with some grumbling now and then, gets you "fixed up". Couldn't do without them.

Wilma

Have you boys forgotten fixing the tire out on the road and the old tire pump to pump it back up?  I can just barely remember my father doing that.  The old tire pump was around for a long time.  We used it to inflate bicycle tires.

jarhead

Shame on you Waldo for not still fixing your own flat tires. Unless it's 110 degrees out there I still do most of the time. Can't see paying $15-$20 for someone else to do it---unless I just need to go see Damien and talk about fishing. :) Some where in my "well organized" trove of treasures I think I still have a little box kinda like a Prince Albert can that is a Camel brand tube repair kit

Dee Gee

I'm with Jarhead I fix all my flats on the pickup, car and lawn mowers the only ones I don't tackle is the rear tires on the tractor.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

jarhead

Dee Gee,
Never had a flat on the rear of my little tractor---yet. but had one on the front and plugged it. I hate plugs but it aint like I'm gonna be going down the highway at 70 MPH on my tractor---unless I can talk mtcookson into souping it up a little ;D

Dee Gee

Jarhead, the front tires on my Allis are tube type so you have break them down and patch the tubes.  I do use plugs in the tubeless tires on the little mowers.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

larryJ

I well remember cruising the back roads to go work baling hay and picking up nails that had fallen off hay wagons.  My buddy and I could change a tire really fast. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

jarhead

Quote from Larry:
I well remember cruising the back roads to go work baling hay and picking up nails that had fallen off hay wagons.  My buddy and I could change a tire really fast. 

, I can picture you with a leaking tube---first you would give it a shot of morphine/glue to the "wound"----then put a piece of plastic/patch on the sucking/blowing wound--then apply a tourniquet if needed--then install a chest tube/tire pump to re-inflate. Job well done Doc. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk