how a box on a loft is connected to Howard

Started by andy, November 29, 2006, 01:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~~ I so wish I could remember living back in the long ago eras.
I know that times were hard and so was the life... but that is where my heart is.

((For those of you who really know me, you know what I mean by this))
For those of you who don't know me real well.... I really am not "out in left field catching fly balls".
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

Oh yeah.. I loved the picture Janet...
Thanks.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

andy

Dear Janet, WGray and Lois,

you all are very nice to help finding information.

Janet, thanks for scanning the picture, it is in a really good state !
Much better than that in the collection.
I saved it from the forum, it was 450 x 293 pixel.
It you have it more precicly, could you please send it to andreas.berendsen@gmx.de  ?
I will print it and send to my  relative Gertrud for her ancestor book.

W.Gray, the additional information about the Metropolitan Hotel is very interesting.

Today, it is not unuasual, to include shops in the basement of a hotel or business building.
Can one say, that the hotel was somehow a prequel of todays shopping centers  ?   :-) :)

Lois, you spent probably some time in the courthouse to look into books.
Especially the information about ,Millie' was new to me.

Does Grace Lawn Cemetery still exist ?
You wrote, Millie died in 1960, 28 years after her husband and was burried in Howard.
Is it likely, that she lived these years in Howard ?
I guess, there is a chance, that her daughter Edith lived there too.

It would be a great  step forward to find Edith's name after marriage,
but as I do ancestry research in my village for a friend in California,
I know how much work it is. You spend hours and hours over books,
with hard to read handwriting.

Therefore, I don't dare to ask you for more research.

Millie was 86, when she died. Does the records tell anything about the place ?
Maybe an elderly home ?  1960 is not too long ago; is there the chance,
that someone is still living and has known her ?
It is not unlikely, that a descendant of Edith is among Howards inhabitants..

Teresa,  History is so exciting for me !
I live in a village, first mentioned 880. The oldest house was built in 1550
many more 200-300 years.
Can you imagine the stories around it ? I'm waiting for time travel !

(Thank you for beeing patient, I can post only, when I'm at work)

Your
Andy

genealogynut

Andy, yes, Grace Lawn is probably about the biggest cemetery in Elk County, and it is located southwest of Howard, probably about a mile.  As for Millie........there is always a possibility that she did not live her at the time of her death.  She could have lived either with or near her daughter, Edith (wherever that was) and the body brought to Grace Lawn for burial.  At the moment, the only way I know of, that may answer the questions you have, would be to try and find Millie's obituary.

I am wondering if some of the older senior citizens of Howard, (Margaret Gragg, Agnes Miller, or Hazel Moore) would have any recollection of Millie Pries(s), that would be able to give any additional information.

To other researchers: Armilda / Ermilda " Millie" (Fear) Pries (as it is spelled on the Grace Lawn Cemtery transcriptions) died on December 28, 1960.  There is no marriage record for the daughter, Edith, in Elk County.

Janet Harrington

Here is some information that my friend, mail lady from Severy, has offered in regard to Millie Pries.

"I do not know what happened to Milla Pries, but here is some information I did find on her.  According to Ancestry.com, the 1920 U.S. Census shows Milla (not Millie, so this was evidently a nickname) Pries living at Howard, Kansas in 1920.  Her estimated birth year was 1875.  She was the wife of Henry Pries.  Living in the household were Henry, age 52; Milla, age 45; Edith, age 9; and William T. Fear, age 72.  (William T. Fear was Milla's father.)  Milla is not shown after the 1920 census. 

I did find in the United States Social Security Death Index a lady named Edith M. Pries, born Sept. 4, 1902; Died Jan. 31, 2001 in Los Angeles, CA, but I do not know if this is the same person.  Her SS # was 566-18-0071.  I realize the birth dates don't match (9 in 1920 vs. 18 in 1920) but maybe there could have been a mistake?

Since Milla was buried at Howard, would Lloyd Zimmerman have any information on her? "

genealogynut

That is certainly an avenue to be explored, Janet.  Mr. Zimmerman's records begin abt. 1921.......He would surely have some information on record.

andy

To all, who were so helpfull in finding information about H.Pries and his family:

We wish you a peaceful Christmas and a Happy New Year 2007 !

Hope, all your wishes may come true.

Regards

Andy
Frankfurt / Germany

Janet Harrington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk