Humboldt transplant

Started by indygal, November 26, 2006, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

Some time ago I read posts from someone (was it Joanne?) who was planning a move from Humboldt to Howard in November. Just wondering if the move was successful and how the transplants are settling into their new home and town.

Joanna

Well, Indygal, thanks for asking.  We did get moved!  The last big load from the garage & basement only yesterday.  We still have a few loose ends to tie up there, but officially live in Howard now, and we're loving it.

We haven't got out to see many folks yet (except the hardware and grocery stores Ha! Ha!).  The first day we got to cook a real meal was a celebration!  Tons of work to do on the house, let alone moving into the middle of it.  Oh well, we don't have to worry about being bored this winter.

Like you, we are planning big things for our new home.  I'm excited to plan our garden and landscaping for next Spring too.  And I enjoy reading the Forum when I take a break from all that work.  Ha!

Teresa

Did you move out to the farm house?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Janet Harrington

No, Ms. T,

They are living in the grandparents house on west Randolph where Ruthie Steele was living.  Scott Hunter and his family live on the farm.

indygal

Congratulations, Joanna! How wonderful for you that you are at last in the place you wish to be. Terrell and I wish you nothing but the very best in your new home.

It's good to hear the move went well. Now comes the fun part: unpacking and settling in. I'd love to be able to do that as well, but realistically it will be several months before we can carry in that last box and make it official.

As a former Humboldtonian (?? Humboldtite? Nah...the first one sounds better...LOL)....I was wondering if we may have a mutual acquaintance. I worked with a woman at the Chanute Tribune who now publishes a quarterly magazine. Her name is Jackie Witherspoon. By any chance, do you know her? She's a dear friend, although we don't see each other as often as we'd like. While in Chanute, I was her boss; now she's mine! LOL Long story..........

Anyway, it's great that Howard keeps adding new residents, and that the fine folks who already call it home are so warm in their welcomes.

Joanna

Janet's right, Ms. T  (sorry!)  We live on west Randolph Street, in the house that Marty's grandmother lived in when he was a child.  He came to stay with her a few hours here every day after school.  What great memories. 

Today we spent mostly outdoors trying to make a small one car garage stretch enough to hold what a large 2 car garage held before.  We made great headway, but I'm thinking we're not going to get it all in (Ha! Ha!)  My husband is a champion at packing and can usually get twice as much in a space as anyone else...  The problem being; he is the same man who filled the old garage...

Indygal!  Yes, we know Jackie.  She lived a couple blocks south from us.  We really enjoy her South East Kansas Living magazine too.  (If any of you Forum folks get a chance, you should check it out!)  Terry Butts, who works with Jackie on the magazine, is also a great friend of ours.  Humboldt is full of wonderful people we were sad to leave, but the welcome here in Howard has helped make it all worthwhile.  And just for the record, they are usually called "Humboldtians"  ;)

indygal

Joanna,

Well, it's truly a small world, isn't it? And isn't the SEK Living magazine great? Jackie had the idea while we were both at the Tribune. She launched this ambitious project about three years ago, and just look at how it's blossomed! I've been editing for her since the beginning, and after reading each issue's stories, I always look forward to seeing the final product with the photos and beautiful advertisements. She's done a fantastic job, and let's wish her continued success.

I had to laugh at your garage story -- at least you have a garage to put the stuff in! We have a one-car garage where we live now, but no outbuildings whatsoever on the Harmony property. Which means we'll be storing lots of garage-y things in the basement until we get something built ... which may be some years from now. Of course, we wouldn't need so much storage space if we didn't have so much STUFF! LOL

On a different note, we do hope you all stay safe, warm and on the pavement these next few days. Winter has arrived!

hhjacobs

Hey Humbolt transplant, do know a Dave Gillespie from Humbolt? I worked with him during the outage at Wolf Creek Nuclear this fall. Marjean

Joanna

Yes.  We know David & Janet Gillespie.  Janet is a hoot to be around!  I know her best.  We used to see them at all the FFA banquets and other school functions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk