PETERSEN, Roberta Ann (Roberts) - b. June 6, 1936 - d. November 6, 2006

Started by Janet Harrington, November 07, 2006, 09:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Roberta Ann Petersen

Roberta Ann Petersen died Monday, Nov. 6, 2006, at her home, 1338 Prairie Park Lane. She was 70.
Mrs. Petersen was a para-professional for the Flint Hills Special Education Cooperation in Howard and Emporia for 16 years, before she retired seven years ago.
The daughter of Evan Wallace and Doris Mae Wolever Roberts , she was born June 6, 1936, at Emporia.
She married John F. Petersen on Aug. 21, 1955, at the Second Presbyterian Church in Emporia. He survives.
Mrs. Petersen was a member of the Westminster United Presbyterian Church. She was active in the past as a Girl Scout Leader and 4-H Leader.
She is also survived by four daughters, Danita E. Rees, Sheryl L. Swift and Brenda K. Stock, all of Emporia, and Laurie A. Ryan of Eureka; one son, Steven J. Petersen of Colorado Springs, Colo.; one brother, Don E. Roberts of Emporia; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Roberts-Blue-Barnett Funeral Home chapel.
The Rev. Robin Haines of the Assembly of God Church at Howard will conduct the service. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery. The family will meet friends from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions to Hand in Hand Hospice or the Emporia Friends of the Zoo may be sent in care of the funeral home, P.O. Box 175, Emporia, KS 66801.

Teresa

Janet.. I changed a wee bit of this and moved it to this thread..
Hope that is okay.
Ms T.

Roberta (Bert) Petersen died this morning at her home in Emporia, Kansas.  Bert was the wife of John Petersen who was the president of the Howard State Bank for many years.  John and Bert were a wonderful couple who loved eating at Poplar's and Toot's.  Bert loved going to coffee and visiting with everyone.  The Petersen's are the ones who put the house in on the corner of Walnut and Randolph.  That nice modular or double wide, can't remember, that is for sale.  Bert and John sold it to the people who bought the Prairie Market from Sue Bauder.  When those people closed the store, they moved back towards Wichita, I think.  I know the wife's name was Stacey.  Anyway, Bert passed away in her sleep this morning and the glorious thing is this:  She is with our Lord and she can breathe.  Bert had to be on continous oxygen and would just have a terrible time with breathing.  Bert and John were high school sweethearts in Emporia, graduating in the same class.  John is known as "Pete" by Bert and his classmates.  When I had classes at Washburn University, I would stay and John and Bert's in Emporia and drive on into Topeka for my classes.  I just loved staying with them as they were a hoot to be around.  John and Bert had 4 daughters and one son and I'm telling you, when all those kids were in the house at the same time:  Katy bar the door.  You were going to have a good time.  Bert and I laughed lots together, mostly at John's expense.

Bert's funeral will be on Thursday, November 9th, 2006, at 2:00 p.m., at Roberts-Blue-Barnett Funeral Home, 605 State St., Emporia, Kansas.  I didn't get a chance to ask John where Bert would be buried.  I am going to try and take that day off to go to the funeral as I loved Bert like a mother and love John.  Pastor Robin Haines will be doing the service.  Bert will be missed.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Janet Harrington

I did go to Bert's funeral today.  There were lots of people, especially her classmates.  That was amazing.  It made me think that her class were close as I remember Bert and John talking about going to class reunions almost every year or so.  Bert is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery which is south of Emporia on K-99.  If you travel to Emporia, give Bert a wave as you go by.  After the funeral, I stopped at the house for just a little bit to see the Petersen dog, Tipper.  Bert got Tipper at the Sedan Animal Shelter and they were the best buddies.  Tipper was always so hyper whenever anyone came to the house, but when I saw her today, she was not hyper.  She misses her buddy, Bert, but I'm sure that daddy John will take care of her.  John would always gripe at Tipper and always wonder why they had a dog, but he spoiled her as much as Bert did.  Pastor Robin did a wonderful job delivering stories, etc., that would have made Bert happy and she was a happy person.  Again, she will be missed by her family and friends.  I know I will miss her.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk