Birds, Specifically Hummingbirds

Started by Wilma, August 01, 2010, 10:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I have a hummingbird visiting my roses several times a day.  It is mostly shades of gray with the breast being lighter than the back.  The back is also shiny.  The tail is a darker gray with an edge of white.  I can't find a picture of one in any of the books I have.  Can anyone tell me what kind it is?  I would take a snapshot of it, but I think you all know how difficult that can be.

W. Gray

Wilma, you got me curious. We have seen no hummingbirds for the last two years around here.

The following hummingbird information is from various sites on the web.

Three hundred fifty six humming bird species exist and they exist only in the western hemisphere. Almost all reside near the equator.

The smallest bird is the Bee Hummingbird in Cuba weighing in at 2.2 grams and the largest, the Giant Hummingbird of South America, weighs in at 20 grams.

A gram is 1,000th of a kilogram (kilogram is equivalent to 2.2 pounds). A gram is the equivalent of .03527 ounces or .0022 pounds.

A teaspoon of sugar weighs in at one gram.

Fifty one of the hummingbird species are endangered.

Sixteen species exist in the U.S. Hummingbirds are not found in Hawaii but five species are found in Alaska. Go figure.

Species are listed at http://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/typescatalog.php but it is difficult to differentiate many of them.

Nine species are in Kansas and photos are shown at http://www.rubythroat.org/ChecklistsUSStatesMain.html

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Judy Harder

wilma, that is a young female. I think. All my hummers are really eating up a storm. Think we are getting into the migration season.
Look at a picture of a Ruby Throat and this years aren't always colored before the take off.
If you can take a picture and post it. Also enjoy it. in a month they will be just about gone.
Love these birds. they entertain me all summer long.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

W. Gray

Took this photo at my mom's house in Howard.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

That is a good picture, Waldo.  Even I can tell what kind it is.  Would you consider camping out in my rose garden sometime?

Anmar

"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Catwoman

Quote from: Wilma on August 01, 2010, 10:37:57 AM
I have a hummingbird visiting my roses several times a day.  It is mostly shades of gray with the breast being lighter than the back.  The back is also shiny.  The tail is a darker gray with an edge of white.  I can't find a picture of one in any of the books I have.  Can anyone tell me what kind it is?  I would take a snapshot of it, but I think you all know how difficult that can be.

That is probably an Ana's Hummingbird, common in Kansas.  The picture is indeed that of a Ruby Red-throated Hummingbird...Also common in Kansas.  I have had Blackchins as they migrate through,  but the first two are the two most common I see at my feeder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk