Market Based Health

Started by redcliffsw, July 19, 2010, 10:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

Diane Amberg

Good luck trying to shop for health care prices in any one's plan. Suppose you have a chronic appendicitis problem and you know it has to come out soon.Try calling several hospitals and trying to find out what the average surgery cost is for a ''typical" appendectomy. Good luck! Tell them you are on medicare and see what they charge. Call back again a few days later and tell them you have blue cross and see what the costs are Then call and say you have no insurance at all, but you'll pay for it yourself. You'll probably find that, if they will talk at all, the costs will be incredibly different.I don't like the proposed plan, but I'm not crazy about the other options either. Drug companies are already raising prices to make money now before the program changes. This business about keeping us safe by not wanting people to buy drugs made in foreign countries for safety.That it so much hooey. A number of drugs are already made in Italy and Canada and others to American standards but are cheaper. Even the "tier" drug system is changing. A tier three drug may start costing three to five times more that a similar tier one or two drug. My Simvastation for 90 days is $12.00. Simcor, which is the same thing with some Niacin added is $200.00. Shop around the best you can but it's really hard to know how to do it.

Roma Jean Turner

This is true.  The variation in quotes even if you can get a cost estimate is stunning.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk