TANNER, Maynard Blair - b. June 16, 1911 - d. April 24, 2010

Started by patyrn, April 26, 2010, 08:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Maynard Blair Tanner, age 98, of Moline, Kansas, passed away Saturday, April 24, 2010 in Wichita, Kansas.  He was born on June 16, 1911 in Wamego, Kansas to Charles and Adalatha (Snodgrass) Tanner, the youngest of eight children.

He graduated from high school in Clay Center, Kansas in 1929 and completed one year of college in Emporia, Kansas.  On September 20, 1929, Maynard was united in marriage to Beverly Neva Piatt in Emporia, Kansas.  She preceded him in death on January 28, 1984.  On November 28, 1986, he married Orien Walker in Moline, Kansas.

Maynard worked in the oilfields near Pawhuska, Oklahoma and in the oilfield trucking business out of Plainville Kansas during the 1930s and early 1940s.  He entered the Army on July 31, 1942 and served through September 30, 1945.  Maynard was a field artillery forward air controller with the 45th Infantry Division in the European Theater during World War II.  He participated in the invasions of Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, and Southern France along with other members of the 45th.  Maynard received a battlefield commission in 1944 and was awarded the Air Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters during his combat tour.  After separation from the Army in September 1945, he operated a fixed base operation at the municipal airport in Russell, Kansas.  Maynard, with his family, moved to Southeast Kansas in the 1950s and was active in the oil production business until his retirement in 1986.  He lived in Moline, Kansas for approximately 50 years before moving with his wife, Orien, to the assisted living facility at Park West Plaza in Wichita, Kansas. 

Maynard was a member of the Moline United Methodist Church and Moline American Legion Ferguson-Spease Post #388.

He is survived by his wife, Orien, of Wichita, Kansas; one son, James Tanner and his wife Norma of Midwest City, Oklahoma; two daughters, Joan Blankenship of Mesa, Arizona and Jane Mueller and her husband Walter of Richardson, Texas; ten grandchildren, seventeen great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren.  He is also survived by seven stepchildren, Loreta Ryan and her husband Dick, Joe Walker and his wife Shirl, Phil Walker and his wife Margaret, Billy Rex Walker, Marlene Edgington and her husband Jim, Beth Llafet and her husband Kent, and Margie Dunn; and numerous step-grandchildren and step great-grandchildren.  He was preceded in death by his parents and seven siblings.

Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m. Thursday, April 29, 2010 at Moline United Methodist Church in Moline, Kansas with Pastor Chantilly Lovelace officiating.  Interment will be held Thursday at 2:30 p.m.at Janesville Township Cemetery west of Hamilton, Kansas.  Military Honors will be provided by Ft. Riley Honor Guard.  Visitation will be Wednesday from 1:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas.  Family suggests memorial contributions to Moline United Methodist Church or Moline Friendship Meals and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left for the family  at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

sixdogsmom

He was such an intelligent man, I always enjoyed talking basketball with him. He also had a great wit that I enjoyed. Godspeed Maynard, my thoughts are with Orien now.
Edie

Ole Granny

My sympathy to the family.  Maynard and Beverly were  north end neighbors for years.  Maynard and Orien were good friends with my mother.  Mother always enjoyed Maynard's dancing skills.  A special hug for Orien.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk