www.vpike.com

Started by Janet Harrington, February 12, 2010, 05:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Pick any address, it works...............
Here is a website you can spend the rest of the day at looking at pictures from your hometown or anywhere else.  Rotate the page to look up and down the streets.  Not every street in US has been photographed, but amazing how many are.  I just put the town name in on some and saw even little towns of 250 people in North Dakota.

This is really amazing...check out some of your old addresses or favorite "haunts".

When you enter an address you will see a picture of that place.  There's a little map with a little man on it - you can move the little man up and down the block if you need to.    Really nice website!  http://www.vpike.com

I got this from one of Jim's cousins's wife, Donna Larson, from Utah.

patyrn

Can you find Howard addresses?  I couldn't pull up anything for Howard.  I found my house in Edmond, though.

Wilma

I just visited my brother in Wichita and I think, my sister in Bucklin.  Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the street she lives on, but it looked like her house.  Yes, Howard can be pulled up, but you can't find anything because it hasn't been photographed.  If the streets are lined in blue, then photographs are available.

Ms Bear

I found the highway near my house but my property hasn't been photographed yet.  Did find my daughter's house in Arkansas and then called her and told her I was looking at her house.  She thought I was in the driveway.  Both kind of disappointed that I wasn't.  I will go in the Spring after it warms up.

We did have snow here in Texas this morning, a few flakes as I was driving to work.

indygal

That's pretty amazing, isn't it? Here's something along similar lines:

http://www.flixxy.com/haiti-earthquake-360-degree-interactive-view.htm

Hope the link works! (Otherwise, you can copy/paste into your browser.)

W. Gray

On Google Earth, there are 360 degree photographs of both sides of K-99 about every 100 feet, or so, through Howard. On K-99 in the county, the photos are every 500 feet, or so.

Google has not yet gotten around to the other areas, though. But the resolution of Howard from the air is much better than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Whoever took those photos at every 100 feet must have taken them on the fly with a special camera truck?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Ms Bear,
I was down in your neck of the woods last week/ weekend and it looks like they are still putting up more of those wind towers. They run almost from Sweetwater to Abilene and now I see a bunch north-east of Abilene. My ol Drill Instructor lives near Wingate and has no towers on his land but gets a check every month for the wind that crosses his land to spin that puppy but only if the wind comes from the right direction.

Rudy Taylor

This is way cool.

My county (Montgomery) hasn't been photographed, but I noticed that Sedan was complete, and all the little towns in Labette County are complete.

I'd like to know what kind of camera they used. How did the photographer stay out of the picture?

You can even advance up or down a street by punching the little arrow.

Amazing.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

larryJ

This is a nice site.  However, the pictures I saw of places that I lived in were the same pictures on Google Earth, right down to the same pickup truck parked on the street in front of my childhood home.  I put in my own address and saw the house I currently live in along with a car in the driveway belonging to a relative who bought the car last April, so the shots are recent enough.  I think Google Earth might be a little easier to use, not too sure about that though.  I have lived in some obscure places like in the mountains of Wyoming which don't rate much more than a picture of a bunch of pine trees and a barely noticeable open area which used to be the site of a lumber mill.  Still, it is fun to look around.  Thanks for posting this.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Ms Bear

Jarhead, I am just north of Houston and I haven't seen any wind towers around here but would be glad to have one on my property.

The pictures are amazing and when I put in my address it shows the streets and highways but also shows the town name of a sawmill that active in the late 1800's.  It had a railroad siding and that might be why it still shows up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk