GREENWOOD, Robert Eugene "Bob" - b. January 11, 1930 - d. February 25, 2010

Started by patyrn, February 25, 2010, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Robert Eugene "Bob" Greenwood, age 80, a resident of Howard, Kansas, passed away February 25, 2010 at the Greenwood County Hospital in Eureka, Kansas.  He was born on January 11, 1930 in rural Howard, Kansas, the son of Edwin and Ethel Maude (Stone) Greenwood.

During the Korean War, Bob served his country in the Air Force earning the rank of Staff Sergeant.  On September 20, 1953, Bob was united in marriage to Barbara Carter at the United Methodist Church in Howard, Kansas.  He worked as a rural carrier for the United States Postal Service.  Bob was a member of the Howard United Methodist Church, American Legion Carter-Rader Post #149, and the Rural Letter Carrier Association.  He also enjoyed gardening, hunting, hunting, fishing, and watching KU basketball.

Bob is survived by his wife, Barbara, of Howard, Kansas; three sons, Rob Greenwood of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Steve Greenwood and his wife Rochelle of St. Joseph, Missouri, and Dave Greenwood of Overland Park, Kansas; three grandchildren, Sarah, Austin, and Alycen; and several nieces and nephews.  He was preceded in death by one brother, Edwin Greenwood; two sisters, Arlene Thompson and Wilma Davidson; and two half sisters, Hazel Preston and Stella DeWitt.

Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, March 1, 2010 at Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas with Rev. Charles Crydeman officiating.  Public viewing will be Sunday, February 28, 2010  from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. at the funeral home.  Interment will be at the Grace Lawn Cemetery.  Family suggests memorial contributions to the American Legion-Auxiliary Scholarship Fund and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left for the family at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Mom70x7

Services are planned for 10:30 am Monday, March 1, at Zimmerman's.

Marcia Moore

Tim and I are both sorry to hear of Bob's passing.  I have a little bit of postal information to share about him.
    On Jan. 10, 1959, Bob was appointed to serve as the substitute rural carrier for Dallas Roberts on Howard's Route 2.  On Feb. 3, 1984, when Dallas retired, Bob became the fulltime rural carrier on that route, serving in that capacity until his retirement on April 28, 1995.  Bob was employed at the Howard Post Office more than thirty-six years, the first twenty-five years as a substitute rural carrier and the last eleven years as the rural carrier.  Below is a photo of Bob on his last day as a carrier.

frawin

Bob was a really good person, our thoughts and prayers go out to Barbara and the family.
I remember Bob when I was a very little boy, going to grade school and Bob was in High School. In looking back Bob graduated in 1947 and a lot of that class went to the service., Bob, Bill and Bob Redmond, Bob Bellar, Bob Wyant, Frank Young and others.
Frank Winn

Jane

Bob was the only person I have every met that put Peanut Butter on his pancakes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk