Convince Me

Started by sixdogsmom, September 29, 2009, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Jane on October 17, 2009, 04:19:36 AM
I know I will be in trouble for this. Why not leave the high school the way it is and use the Longton School as the grade School?
I sure that has been looked into.
Jane :(

Jane, No one seemed to want to touch your question, so I will.  Elk Valley, the school at Longton, is a different school district, so that isn't an option at this time.

jprxmkt

I believe that if we are not showing the state that we are running USD 282 efficiently, they will do what THEY see is the most efficient, which may mean consoldidating with another district.  I don't think we are on the "chopping block" just yet but with 20 to 30 students per class we need to be looking at being more efficient than we currently are.  We need to do all we can to show them we are using "their" money wisely.
The whole reason for choosing to put it in Howard, is because it is more centrally located for EVERONE, including those students we serve in Piedmont, near Fall River, Longton, and Grenola.  That is why Longton grade school, at this point, is not the best option.  Also, like Janet said, that would require consolidation with Elk Valley school district which opens a whole new can of worms! :o
  Some are saying, "Have they talked about putting the grade school rooms into the Vo-Ag area and building a Vo-Ag building?  That would require a HUGE amount of cash first off to bring everything to the standards required for a newly built school structure as then the whole high school would have to be brought up to standards. (i.e. sprinkler systems, etc.)  Also you would be putting this huge amount of cash into a building that is already 30 years old.  So when it gets to the point (as every building eventually does) that it needs replaced, you will have to pass a bond for 1 building that includes grade school, jr high and high school! Yikes! $5.5 million won't even touch that!
  Let's "bite the bullet" now and vote yes so we won't be FORCED by the State to consolidate!

Jane

Thanks Julie, a simple answer is all I needed.
Jane

lola330

Jane:

Longton Elementary is not big enough to add WE Elementary students to it, even it that were an option.

Janet Harrington

Quote from: jprxmkt on October 19, 2009, 01:31:33 PM
Let's "bite the bullet" now and vote yes so we won't be FORCED by the State to consolidate!

Well said.  Well said.

pepelect

Senate Ways and Means Subcommittee on the Education Budget
February 25, 2009
West Elk USD #282 is a rural school district located in southeast Kansas. We are considered a
"frontier" county with over 520 square miles contained within our boundaries. Elk County is
one of the poorest counties in assessed valuation in the state. We have been experiencing a
decline in our enrollment for 12 of the last 15 years resulting in a loss of nearly 200 students
since the 1992-93 school year. West Elk USD #282 is the largest employer in Elk County.
The district has been supplementing the general fund through a Local Option Budget of
$900,000 as a result of our decline in enrollment. We have the ability to raise $1,500,000 through
the LOB, and we will need to access the remaining $150,000 in authority as a result of our
decline in enrollment.
The district will apply the following plan in order to reduce our general fund budget by 10% for
the 2009-10. That will mean a reduction of $351,900 based on our audited general fund budget
for 2008-09 of $3,519,000.
The district provided notice to all elementary non-tenured teachers in February that their
positions would be reduced for the 2009-10 school year. This includes a Kindergarten teacher,
Second Grade teacher, Elementary Music teacher, and Elementary Interrelated Resource Room
teacher. The district also took action to non-renew the junior/senior high school part-time
Counselor.
Reductions already acted on by the West Elk Board of Education to prepare for a 10% general
fund budget reduction for 2009-10:
• Non-renew one non-tenured Kindergarten teacher -$35,000.
• Non-renew one non-tenured Second grade teacher - $34,000.
• Non-renew the non-tenured Elementary Music teacher - $45,000.
• Non-renew one non-tenured Elementary Interrelated Resource Room teacher - $0 (State
Aid and Federal Flow Through reimburse this position).
• Non-renew the non-tenured .67 Counselor - $28,000.
Further reductions considered by the West Elk Board of Education to meet the 10% general fund
reduction budget for 2009-10:
o Move to a four day school week (reduce the calendar by 11 days) - @$55,000.
o Consolidate the elementary programs to one campus - @$128,000.
o Reduce elective credits at the junior/senior high school - @$50,000.
Negative outcomes of a 10% general fund budget reduction discussed by the West Elk Board of
Education:
 Larger elementary class sizes.
 Reduction in hours for classified employees by moving to a four day per week school
calendar.
 Elementary students will no longer receive a solid foundation in music.
 Junior/senior high school students will not have a counselor to assist them to cope with
personal, family, school, life problems.
 The closure of one elementary school will result in a division among our patrons in the
community that looses their elementary school resulting in parents using the 10 mile rule
to attend another school district or choosing to home-school their child(ren).
 A reduction in force will result in local businesses suffering as a result of less purchasing
power.
 Students will not receive the best education to prepare them for post-secondary
opportunities including access to training and/or employment.
 The No Child Left Behind requirements may be compromised as a result of larger class
sizes with limited time for remediation of content deficiencies.
 The district will be limited in its ability to support any increases in the health insurance
fringe benefit resulting in staff having to contribute more towards their health insurance
coverage.
 Classified and licensed employees will receive minimal increases in salary or no
increases.
 The district may not be able to replace its aging buses.
 The district may be limited in its ability to perform needed maintenance of facilities.
 Professional development opportunities will be limited to the funds the district receives
through the federal Title funds.
 Technology purchases will be limited.
 Student activities will be reduced which keep many of our students engaged in school.
 The aging community will be forced to pick up the burden of paying more taxes through
the maximization of the LOB and increases in the Capital Outlay fund.
 The district will not be able to maintain its high proficiency standard for students
participating in the Reading and Math NCLB assessments.
 Course offerings will be limited at the junior/senior high school if additional reductions
in budget are required.

This was in Feburary of 2009.  Where is the next 10% going to come from?

ladyD

It seems to me that you are very concerned with the changes that may take place. However, I wonder if your concern comes from a fear of the unknown, the fear from listening to your friends who do not do well with change, or just FEAR.  Matthew 6:27 says do not worry as it will not add a single how to your life. (paraphrased)

Just give it to God. 

I have read some of your blogs and I am afraid that some things you have stated are not true.  I am not sure where you have gotten your information.  I would like to suggest you set up a time to visit the elementary schools while they are in sessions, look at the cramped classrooms, ( They could NOT house all the 210 Elementary students, let alone the whole district.) look at the out dated electrical. (as they ARE NOT set up for the modern technology... but they do very well for what they have.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk