Fortune Cookies

Started by Diane Amberg, August 11, 2009, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

Larry one of my favorites is Empress Pavillion in LA. where my brother had his wedding reception. Sorry no chop suey on the menu. Here is their website.

http://www.empresspavilion.com/

David

Tobina+1

You will never read a fortune cookie the same again.  Once you have the "in bed" in your mind, this will give you hours of laughter while reading fortunes.

Unfortunately in this area we don't have a lot of opportunity for "real" Chinese food.  My FAV place for Chinese food is Dillons grocery!  Whenever I drive through Andover around mealtime (which "mealtime" is becoming more often for me), I stop and get chicken lo mein, chicken fried rice, and crab rangoons.  They serve other entrees, but lo mein is my staple.  Wish I could figure out a way to make crab rangoons, too.

W. Gray

At one time, there was a Chinese restaurant on US 54 near the old town area in Augusta. We stopped there frequently but it has apparently closed.

El Dorado has a good one. My mom likes the one in Independence but I never took a liking to it.

Here in Colorado, we have frequented the same Chinese restaurant since 1981. We have tried others but end up going back to the same place. They recently added a Japanese cook and now serve both Chinese and Japanese.

On our last trip, we went through Minnesota and North Dakota, among others. It never ceases to amaze me that you get out in the rural areas in small towns and there is a Chinese restaurant run by Chinese.

I have heard the same story that Diane came across, but I don't think I have seen Chop Suey on any of the restaurant menus that we frequent.

Those who were in the Army back in the 60s and 70s might recall that the standard rotating fare in the mess hall was a decent Chinese menu. This was back in the days when every company had its own mess hall. Chop Suey (I guess) served over Chinese noodles and white rice. It was a welcome diversion from the normal fare.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Tobina+1

I think the restaurant you're talking about in El Dorado had significant damage during the spring storms this year and is closed.  The sign says they'll be back, but not open yet.

A lot of Chinese restaurants have started doing the "Mongolian" stuff where you put together all the raw ingredients and then watch them cook it on a big flat wok.

sixdogsmom

I like going to the buffet at Hunan in Bartlesville. The food is outstanding and the price is awesome, $6.95 for lunch. I also like to eat at the Chinese Chef in Arkansas City, their buffet is good as well. I too like the one in Independence (or did), but haven't been there in awhile. Last time I was in Indy, they were closed and remodeling.
Edie

Rudy Taylor

We like Saushan Chinese Restaurant in Bartlesville. Nothing fancy ... just excellent food. Very fresh.

Also, Tobina ... you devil, you.  I remember when the teenagers in our church would sit in the back and look at a hymn book, pointing at song tiles then adding the words, "... under the sheets."

I figure it'll take me and fellow teens from the 1950s and '60s an extra 30 minutes to gain admission to Heaven, just because of our naughtiness.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Ole Granny

Oh, the memories!  Did everyone do that..............unders the sheets............
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

larryJ

Tobina, I am having so much fun reading other forum members quotes and adding "in bed" to them.Thanks!

David, see comment on Chop Suey on the thread with the birthday wishes.  I have been to the Empress Pavilion as it is right down the street from the jewelry shop.  There is another (one of a thousand) place near there called JR's Bistro, which is also excellent.  My only problem with my Chinese daughter-in-law is while she speaks Chinese fluently, she can neither read or write Chinese.  There was an incident at a restaurant (one of a thousand) across from the jewelry shop while we were waiting for a table.  She, daughter-in-law, was standing near the hostess trying to get us a table when a caucasian man approached her, taking her for a waitress or staff member, and asked her to translate something off the menu for him.  She politely told him that she didn't read Chinese, but would have the hostess read it to him.  He looked totally flabbergasted that a Chinese person could not read Chinese.  We still laugh about that one.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk