Medal of Honor

Started by W. Gray, June 29, 2009, 06:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarhead

I believe there has been 19 men that were awarded 2 MOH's. I know that two Marines, Sgt Maj Dan Daly and Maj Gen. Smedly Butler ,both were recipients of two. Army Green Beret Roger Donlon was the first reipient of the MOH in the Viet Nam war. He was listed as being from NY but lives in Kansas now.
Wilma asks how she might get a MOH. I served with  Cpl. George Jmaneff, from Canada, who was wrote up for a MOH but was down graded to a Navy Cross------and trust me Wilma---you don't even want to  go thru what "Canada " did for any medal !!!

W. Gray

After further research, Thomas Custer was the only man awarded two medals of honor during the Civil War.

Wikipedia mentions nineteen men have received two medals.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

I don't really want a MOH, but the money attached to it sure sounds good.  IMHO, the people who have received said medals are my heroes and deserve every monetary award that is available.

Rudy Taylor

I'll try to gather information and write a good feature story about Col. Johnson just before Veterans Day ... Nov. 11.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

patyrn

This is his Medal of Honor citation:

JOHNSON, LEON W. (Air Mission)

Rank and organization: Colonel, U.S. Army Air Corps, 44th Bomber Group, 9th Air Force. Place and date: Ploesti Raid, Rumania, 1 August 1943. Entered service at: Moline, Kans. Born: 13 September 1904, Columbia, Mo. G.O. No.: 54, 7 September 1943. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry in action and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 1 August 1943. Col. Johnson, as commanding officer of a heavy bombardment group, let the formation of the aircraft of his organization constituting the fourth element of the mass low-level bombing attack of the 9th U.S. Air Force against the vitally important enemy target of the Ploesti oil refineries. While proceeding to the target on this 2,400-mile flight, his element became separated from the leading elements of the mass formation in maintaining the formation of the unit while avoiding dangerous cumulous cloud conditions encountered over mountainous territory. Though temporarily lost, he reestablished contact with the third element and continued on the mission with this reduced force to the prearranged point of attack, where it was discovered that the target assigned to Col. Johnson's group had been attacked and damaged by a preceding element. Though having lost the element of surprise upon which the safety and success of such a daring form of mission in heavy bombardment aircraft so strongly depended, Col. Johnson elected to carry out his planned low-level attack despite the thoroughly alerted defenses, the destructive antiaircraft fire, enemy fighter airplanes, the imminent danger of exploding delayed action bombs from the previous element, of oil fires and explosions, and of intense smoke obscuring the target. By his gallant courage, brilliant leadership, and superior flying skill, Col. Johnson so led his formation as to destroy totally the important refining plants and installations which were the object of his mission. Col. Johnson's personal contribution to the success of this historic raid, and the conspicuous gallantry in action, and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty demonstrated by him on this occasion constitute such deeds of valor and distinguished service as have during our Nation's history formed the finest traditions of our Armed Forces.

patyrn

Did Leon Johnson have relatives in the Moline area?

W. Gray

I stayed up last night to watch a movie on the western channel that I had never seen before. It turned out not to be a wise decision to watch Buffalo Bill and the Indians starring Paul Newman and Burt Lancaster. The movie was so bad that it was good—if you have ever heard that expression.

In the movie, Buffalo Bill bragged that he had been awarded the Medal of Honor by Congress.

I do not seem to ever recall hearing of his connection with that medal.

But, it turns out that William Frederick Cody was awarded the Medal of Honor for bravery as a scout for the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, 5th Cavalry, in action in Nebraska in 1872. He worked for the Army from 1868-1872.

Buffalo Bill died in January 1917. Twenty-Four days later, his medal was revoked.

The reversal was a general review of the past awards to purge all that were given to individuals not in the military. General Nelson Miles, who was a recipient, initiated the review in 1916. Over 900 medals were revoked.

Buffalo Bill's medal was restored in 1989 by President George H.W. Bush.

The only female to receive the award, Dr. Mary Walker, also had her medal revoked. Her medal was restored by President Jimmy Carter in 1977.

Another comment from the movie: Buffalo Bill said that his childhood was cut short because his father died fighting against slavery in Kansas Territory.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

Waldo, my grandfather passes away before my parents were married, but my dad used to tell of the time that Grandpa got to see Buffalo Bill keeping a silver dollar airborne with his six guns. Grandpa came to this country as a young man and did a little galavanting around before settling down.
Edie

W. Gray

Growing up, I knew of Buffalo Bill as a Pony Express rider and an Indian fighter.

But, he was first and foremost a showman who made a lot of money, left his wife behind, and spent it all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk