Who does coins?

Started by Mom70x7, June 24, 2009, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

One of the activities we did at our family reunion was divide up some of the coins my grandfather had collected and my dad has saved. We didn't pay attention to who got what, just piles equal in quantity. Some are in plastic/cardboard sleeves. Some are not. My dad lived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, so some of the coins and cardboard have moisture damage. Where can I take them to get them looked at? My sisters and I decided to leave them in the sleeves until we can get more information.

For instance - a 1955 "Bugs Bunny" half dollar. The card said UNC (uncirculated), but moisture got inside and the coin now needs a good cleaning. Or a 1939 D penny UNC with tarnish. It's next to a 1939S, UNC, with out any discoloration or water damage.

Then there are the coins someone put lose in a zippered bag - like a 1929 penny. Also some Canadians coins that are newer, a 1969 Quarter, a 1961 nickel. And some Mexican (Spanish) coins - 1968 dime-size; a 1944 Franc. Don't know who put them in the bag - whether my dad took them out of sleeves after the floods or my grandfather collected and never got around to sorting.

My assumption is these will need to be personally examined; pictures wouldn't be sufficient. We're not talking about a great quantity - 27 in sleeves, about that many, maybe a little more, in the zippered back.

Thanks!

srkruzich

you take them to a neumistic dealer.  have them appraised.  There are coin books out that will give you a value of each coin.  pennies aren't worth much unless you get a 1945 copper or 1909 pennies. 

Bugs bunny coin wouldn't be worth much except to a collector of those coins.

Those coin valuation books will give you a price for each condition. IF moisture has gotten into the sealed coins their no longer UNC coins i believe.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Mom70x7

Quoteyou take them to a neumistic dealer.  have them appraised.
I know. That's why I was asking where to go. Who's in the area?

QuoteThere are coin books out that will give you a value of each coin. Those coin valuation books will give you a price for each condition. IF moisture has gotten into the sealed coins their no longer UNC coins i believe.
That's why they need to be examined personally. The damage varies from coin to coin.

QuoteBugs bunny coin wouldn't be worth much except to a collector of those coins.
It's not a real Bugs Bunny coin. It's a real half dollar nicknamed Bugs Bunny because it was minted without a backing plate and the mouth has buck teeth, similar to Bugs Bunny. (I'm too blind to notice the difference and we don't have a good magnifying glass. I'm just going by what's written on the sleeve. :) )

frawin

MOM, go to Littleton Coin company's website, you can send the coins to them and they will give you market value for them. I have done business with them for years and they are very reputable and honest. There are coin dealers here in Bartlesville that will buy them as well.
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk