Mandatory Volunteers???

Started by Varmit, April 21, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Ok guys, I must have been under a rock somewhere. Since when is the high school community service a Federal Mandate? I have helped several kids with their projects and they told me it makes them look better to colleges when they apply.... That it's colleges that want it, because it shows a willingness to work hard and be less self centered and that they have good time management and organizational skills.

Varmit

Diane, review Teresa' post on page 4. She has a lot of information on this.

What does being "less self centered" have to do with going to college?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

Billy, I know what you meant. 

King George was still a king even if he night have been a good one.
But, a good king is not forever.

Varmit

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Billy, beats  me. I'm just telling you what the kids told me. (They get high school credit for it too, as part of their social studies classes.) More mature maybe?

Diane Amberg

Ok,Billy I went and read it ...It says "IF''  I doubt parents would put up with it if it becomes ''When.'' That is very slanted writing in an ugly fashion. I tend to turn away from things that immediately invoke Hitler. I'd listen, but not to him. I do not respect that kind of writing.

Wilma

Unfortunately, a lot of people believe it, just like they believe a lot of things that aren't entirely true.

Varmit

Diane, HR1388 sets aside funds, means, whatever to look at making it mandatory.  This bill has passed the house.  If it becomes law, parents don't have a choice, do they?  I wonder, was the majority of parents behind taking prayer out of school?  It became law.  As for comparing Hitler with obama the shoe certainly seems to fit.  Oh, and one more thing, Nobama wants this to be mandatory, kinda reminds me of someone else, at this point "Yes, We Can" sounds a little to close to "Arbeit Macht Frei" for my taste.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk