Uncle Sam and His Predecessor

Started by W. Gray, April 06, 2009, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I saw a mention of Uncle Sam (sort of) earlier today.

Uncle Sam as a caricature symbol of the United States got its start in the War of 1812 but did not pick up speed until sometime after the Civil War.

Brother Jonathan is similarly dressed as Uncle Sam and was the first caricature symbol of the U.S.

He became popular during the Revolutionary War and remained popular as a symbol until after the Civil War competing with Uncle Sam. The song "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" is supposed to be in reference to Brother Jonathan.

The Philadelphia Centennial International Exhibition in 1876 shows Brother Jonathan to the world as the symbol of the United States.

Supposedly Brother Jonathan was indicative of the U.S. when power resided at the state level.

Uncle Sam became indicative of the U.S. after power resided at the federal level.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Rudy Taylor

Interesting, Brother Gray.

Thanks!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

W. Gray

When Brother Jonathan and states rights were predominant the saying was "The United States are a great country."

When Uncle Sam and a predominant federal government came about the saying is "The United States is a great country."
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Rudy Taylor

You know, I rather like the original verb.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

redcliffsw

Isn't that how our founding fathers established this country as independent states?

I certainly agree that "The United States are" sounds a heck of a lot better - and right too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk