Winter Storm Play-by-Play

Started by Tobina+1, March 27, 2009, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Glad to hear your electricity is coming back on. I'm sorry so many trees took such a hit. I guess it could have been worse though.

wasadeay

According to the Westar Energy website Greenwood County has 3, 186 customers without electricity.  I have heard reports that Piedmont, Locations around Severy and Eureka, and as of last night Fall River were all powerless and expected to be down for up to a few more days.    Any reports for Elk County? ???

sixdogsmom

Here in Moline, electric was out only sporadically, never for any long period. Thanks to my wonderful neighbors who came this afternoon with pickups, chainsaw, and three good men, all my big limbs are now cleared away. I heard that Robert Wilson was running the front loader out at the brush dump and stacking limbs as people were bringing them in. This was not as bad a storm as that in 2002, but a lot of limbs are down nevertheless. It will be awhile before it is all cleaned up.
Edie

greatguns

We got power back on Tuesday.  Darn, I was just getting good at cooking on the wood stove. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Diane Amberg

Do you really have a wood stove? Neat!

Tobina+1

West of Howard, we were out of electricity for about 24 hours; from middle of the morning on Saturday to about the same time on Sunday.  Unfortunately, our house is NOT set up for anything like this.  We do have our big water tank in the basement that we can drain water from, and our water heater did a good job keeping the water warm so we could drain from it, too, for sponge baths.  But no propane or wood stove or fireplace.  But fortunately, I found out that our house is VERY insulated.  It only dropped to about 55 degrees in here in 24 hours (started around 68-70).  Even through the night on Saturday, we woke up pretty warm.  We did grill on the propane grill on Sunday morning for breakfast, right before the electricity came on.  Oh, it was only on for about an hour, then off again for another couple of hours when the ice started to fall off the lines.

We just trimmed all our trees last summer, so we didn't have too much damage around the house.  It was just such an odd storm... on Friday night in the middle of the night, it warmed up enough to switch from ice to rain!  But then kept switching back and forth throughout the day.  Even at the warmest, I know we saw snowflakes!

Diane Amberg

Grills are also good for heating big kettles of water to wash with. We can be very independent when we have to, can't we?

greatguns

The only real problem we had at our house was Hubby's withdrawal from the remote! ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk