Construction in downtown Howard

Started by Rudy Taylor, March 16, 2009, 11:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Taylor

I am so excited about what's happening in downtown Howard. I know it probably doesn't look like huge progress but I absolutely fell in love in Traci Smith's shop last week. And I think there will be some exciting announcements in the coming week that will give Howard a big boost.  Here's my question: Last week I snapped a picture of men working on the west side of the street in downtown Howard. They had torn off a front and exposed some historic old columns.  Anybody know the story there? What's it going to be?
It truly is "a wonderful life."

L Hendricks

Rudy - I agree - Traci's Trend is a nice addition to main street of Howard.  I believe the building you are talking about on main is the ole furniture store.  I believe the Benson Museum own it - contact Nadine Baumgartel.  She may be able to give you more info.

W. Gray

It is to be a doll museum.

I believe the woman who owns all the dolls is now in the Howard nursing home.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

twirldoggy

I believe that the Hioward museums are the hidden treasure there.  People would come from all around to see the interesting and well kept examples of the past that are contained in the museums.   When I lived in Howard they were accessed only by appointment and even when open on a special day the doors would be locked at times .  Why not set regular days the museums would be open and assure access by getting two volunteers who would back up each other and be sure tjhe doors were open the appointed hours.   This would bring visitors to Howard and the visitors would spend money in Howard.   Also Howard would be sharing it's very interesting past with others.   There are many of us who love history.  Just think of the little girls who will love to see the dolls.

patyrn

I understand that the old furniture store next to the Howard National Bank has been purchased by the Benson Museum and is being refurbished to house the doll collection of Bertha Baumgartel who is a longtime Howard resident, now living at Twilight Manor.  I have never seen her collection, but from what I've been told, it is large and very interesting.  What a nice addition to Howard's Main Street to draw tourists in for a visit! 

sixdogsmom

Doll collecting is among the most popular hobbies in the world. I am a collector myself and have visited Berthas' dolls; she has a large and interesting collection. Part of it included some of the dolls from her sisters' collection. I am looking forward to the opening; any ideas?  :)
Edie

MarkHall

I think Verlon Saxton has been working there... I don't know who the other man would have been.

I agree, it's nice to see some activity in downtown Howard.

Ian Denton has opened up an insurance office on Randolph St., east of the post office as well.

Tobina+1

Also, there's a BIG pile of roofing supplies (?) in front of the old Howard National Bank building, so it looks like it will be a busy spring for downtown Howard!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk