Remeber when OR the History of Aprons.

Started by Judy Harder, November 13, 2008, 09:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

I thought we could get a new topic going and I just know most of the older generation know what I am talking about.

Now, we get to share. I remember my mother in an apron, she didn't retire housedresses until she was in her 60's, and my grands' also wore aprons.

How many of you

can remember??

The  History of  'APRONS'

I  don't think our kids know what an apron  is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to  protect the dress underneath,because she only had a  few,it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used  less material, but along with that, it served as a  potholder for
removing hot pans from the  oven.

It  was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was  even used for cleaning out dirty  ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was  used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes  half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming  oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal  hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather  was cold, grandma wrapped it around her  arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a  perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood  stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought  into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden,  it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the  peas had been shelled, it carried out the  hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to  bring in apples that had fallen from the  trees.

When unexpected company drove up the  road, it was surprising how much furniture that  old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When  dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch,  waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to  come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a  long time before someone invents something that will  replace that ' old-time apron' that served so  many purposes.

Send this to those who would know  (and love) the story about Grandma's  aprons.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used  to set her hot baked apple pies on the window  sill to cool.

Her granddaughters set theirs on  the window sill to thaw.

They  would go crazy now trying to figure out how many  germs were on that apron.

I don't  think I ever caught anything from an  apron.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

pam

And the amazin things that could be found in Granmas apron pockets.......... :)
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

patyrn

Aprons bring back fond memories of my mom to me.  She was an excellent seamstress and always could find uses for fabric left over from sewing projects.  She always wore a cobbler's apron at home from morning till night, the kind like a sleeveless blouse turned backwards that covered the whole torso and had several pockets.  There was a treasure of everything in those pockets she picked up throughout the day.  One time she was helping at school with some type of holiday craft project and wore her cobbler's apron.  The teacher thought it was so handy and just kept commenting on how useful and pretty it was, so guess who received one as a teacher Christmas gift??  Having six children, that started a tradition through the years that every one of our teachers could expect a handmade holiday Cobbler's apron for Christmas. 

littlelamb

my mom still puts a apron on when she is cooking my all of my aunts ( they have passed away) wore them i love it when we would bake with mom we got to put one on thanks for the fond memories.

mary

Diane Amberg

I wear aprons every day. The one I have on now has moose all over it. When I was working in the fire house kitchen this morning I had a bright red one on. The apron is not dead. ;D

greatguns

Ms Bear

My grandson would always grab one my daughters aprons to wear while he was cooking without caring if it was flowery or lacy.  Last year for Christmas I made him two John Deere aprons and he wears them now.  He is grown and has his own kitchen and loves to cook.

My grandmother always wore aprons when she cooked and made some very pretty ones, wish I had some of them.

LShortt

My grandmother ALWAYS wore an apron.  My mother didn't until I started making aprons for her.  I've always worn an apron when cooking and working in the kitchen...I'm a messy chef.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk