Book Signing

Started by frawin, February 21, 2008, 01:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I attended a book signing here in Bartlesville earlier this week.  Bill Kurtis and Michelle M. Martin.  They are co-authors of The Prairie Table Cookbook.  They are very interesting people.  He was an anchor for CBS in Chicago and she is a living historian.  She does reenactments of the Civil War, both as a Southern Lady and as a soilder.  He has a ranch at Sedan.  Anyway, it was a very interesting hour spent and if any of should get a chance to get the book and/or hear them speak, it is well worth your time.

Myrna

P.S.  There are some interesting recipes in it, as well as some interesting history.

W. Gray

Kurtis grew up in Independence, KS and was a radio announcer there.

He was also a news anchor for WIBW TV in Topeka. He has, or did have, a number of programs on the History Channel.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

According to the book, Bill was a television journalist for over 30 years on CBS and A&E, as well as the anchor for WBBM-TV-Chicago.  Currently, Bill's creative efforts are focused on Kurtis Productions, Ltd. and he has become one of the country's foremost producers of documentaries for television.  In 2005, he founded the Tallgraass Beef Company devoted to grass-fed cattle ranching.  He mentioned the other day that he was working with a resturant here in Bartlesville, to use his beef.

mlw

W. Gray

When he was at the CBS affiliate WIBW TV, he catapulted to national fame when he spent 24 straight hours  covering the F5 tornado that hit and destroyed parts of Topeka in 1966.

He was the subject of a documentary that covered his daring do during that particular effort.

He was also an anchor for the CBS Morning News out of New York.

I have heard he now resides in Kansas.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

He has done a lot for Sedan. Ask Rudy about him.

frawin

I have read the articles in the Flint Hills Express.  You are right, he has done a lot for Sedan.  I told him how nice the town is looking these days, since he has helped it.  One of Frank's cousin's sons (that's a lot of possesives) said their town took a trip to Sedan, to use as an example as what can be done for some of the small towns in Kansas.

Myrna

W. Gray

As small towns go, Sedan has got a lot going for it.

Any small town that still supports a movie theater, bowling alley, and a golf course must be doing something right.

I think Bill Kurtis started the Tall Grass Beef Company in Sedan or, at least, an internet ordering office on the second floor of one of the buildings. He has the Red Buffalo Ranch covering 8,000 acres outside Sedan, so maybe that has something to do with it. There is also a Red Buffalo store on Main Street.

The Historical Society is about to finish a census of every grave site in the county, including a photo of each.

The Historical Society has its own building, has a research area, issues a quarterly newsletter, and has over 100 members.

I don't think it is the Historical Society but some group there is restoring the old Bradford Hotel on Main Street, which is supposed to be reopened with 32 rooms.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk