Digital Versatile Discs

Started by W. Gray, February 18, 2008, 10:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Several months ago, there was some discussion on this forum about the new high definition DVD recorders and discs

There were two competitors and one was sure to fall out, much as Sony Betamax did during the video tape wars.

Sony has now won the high definition DVD race with its Blue Ray process.

The death knell for Toshiba came when Walmart officially dropped their HD DVD products last Friday.

These high definition products are expensive but a hi def DVD holds something like 25 gb vs 4.7 for a DVD, entertainment or computer data. 

Not sure how this will affect us as we still use video tape and an old DVD player. At some point, the older folks just drop out and away from the new fangled stuff.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

archeobabe

Walmart no longer sells VHS movies but still sells VHS tapes that you can record on.

jensarlou

I read an article on MSNBC about this and it said they would continue to carry original format DVD's and DVD players.

Joanna

This strikes a funny bone with me.  Last year our son told me to wait to get a new DVD player till this "war" sorted itself out.  He said he knew that "blue ray" was going to win, and that a few months after that, the machines should get less expensive.  I didn't have a clue what he was talking about then, still don't understand all the details ~ but looks like it was good advice. 

When did I start taking advice from my kids?  ??? ::) Who'd a thunk it???  I convinced them when they were little that I am the smartest woman in the world.  I think I'm still covered though... I told them that I don't have to know all the technical details, I just need to know where to look it up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk