Pictures Re: Ruins and Wrecking Crew of Old Courthouse abt. 1906

Started by T. Sackett, December 20, 2007, 04:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Sackett

History buffs:  Here are a couple of websites where they show a picture of the ruins of the old Elk County courthouse and the wrecking crew.

http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/209816

http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/209817
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

T. Sackett

In doing some further browsing on those web pages, there is more interesting data to be found!  Try checking out the Standard Atlas of Elk County, Kansas (1903).  It has 43 pages, with some portraits, and township maps, that tells who lived where (that is priceless). 

Also a picture of the Busby school and of Sprague's grocery was found (try clicking Elk County that is listed underneath the catagory listings on the left hand side of the screen of the above addresses given.

http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/209401
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

W. Gray

I have a copy of the 1903 Atlas as well as the Handbook of Elk and Chautauqua counties.

The Atlas has an interesting picture of Thomas E. Thompson with a handle bar mustache.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

Oh my gosh! That is just way too cool.
I am going to get in there when I have time and dig and browse around.
Thank you so much for putting this on.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Judy Harder

Sometimes when I am in Topeka I get to head to the museum
and I can really get lost in the past in there.
This site will just keep me in front of the computer more and more.
thanks for showing it to us.

AOYP Hugs and God bless
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Judy, are you speaking of the Kansas Historical Museum?  We have also spent a lot of time there.  It is really interesting to go through the old newspapers.  Of course, there is also much more there.

Myrna

Judy Harder

Yes, Myrna,

This is probably my favorite spot in Topeka, except maybe for Gage Park.
I loved it as  a teen when I could get to it with one of my girlfriends, when
it was across street from the state house........and since it moved out west
of the city and got bigger it is just a lot of fun going through it.
I don't think I have managed to do it all, yet.....but when I have time......and
my friend want's to go with me I do like it there.
( my favorite area is the era of my teens,1950) love the old movies and the remember
when we did that!
Guess we all like to go back to our teens, but you couldn't pay me to relive it.
Hugs and God bless AOYP
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Janet Harrington

Thank you for sharing this website with us.  I have registered with it and plan to view it every now and then.  There are pictures that I have never seen before.  Thank you again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk