Rodeo Moline

Started by Ole Granny, August 26, 2007, 07:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

Lillian was a trick rider and so was Pat and yes Harold was a clown - plus he broke horses to ride.  I am telling you they were the grandest of the grand people.  Lillian made all of the clothes that she and Pat wore -- many many beautiful outfits -- lots of sequins and flashy fabrics.  We miss them--yet to this day. When they lived up on the hill where their granddaughter and her husband - Gina and Craig Wilson live now they - John and Betty Layton and Fred and I had A GRAND OLE TIME every week. Horses , well actually ALL animals
were the love of their lives.  Lillian raised chickens - that is the only eggs we would eat those days.  She could not eat a steak -- she always said she could still see the steer that it came from -- looked like she had just cut it off the poor thing  lol lol  but she would eat hamburger - because that didn't look like any part of the animal.  Ohhhhhhhh  the wonderful memories --- but some of them would not do to tell on here.  Now you have me started laughing and what a great way to start my day.  Maybe some day I will tell you more memories about our years in Howard.  and then on the other hand....maybe I shouldn't.  ::) ::) ::)
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Ole Granny

I remember Lillian being a lovely person but Harold was so funny and happy whenever I was around him.  Always with the twinkle in his eye and truly enjoyed himself.  The rodeo was never the same after they quit performing.  Now what about Lee-did he not join in the family act for a while?
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Jo McDonald

Well -- I just got home, I have been working all day and had to have my"forum Fix"
  I really don't know about Lee doing any rodeoing.  The only thing I ever saw Lee ride was ** Big Cats **   heavy construction equipment
Pat has children that were animal lovers like their Grandparents.  Good lookin' cowboy type and cowgirl type.  Lee and Kay's girls are beauties.  Did I mention they WERE AND ARE Great People ??????    hahahaha  yes,  indeedy,  that is the Howell family alright !!

Harold and Lillian both like to dance - as did the Laytons' and 'McDonalds'  So we went a lot !!!  Lillian liked to waltz and Fred is a wonderful waltzer -- and she would come back to the table from the dance floor and would always say, " Oh, you could put an apple on your head and waltz with Fred, he is so smooth, it would never fall off".  Bless her heart -- they were Good 'uns!!!

Guess I've said that before, haven't I?   ;D       True - True - True
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Ole Granny

Sounds like them.  Lee would have been very young from what I remember.  Way before the "Big Cats".  What I remember was Lee doing some trick riding with Pat.  Gee, could be my imagination!  I know he did not stick with it.
Eskimo Legend

Dignified Redneck

This if for Ole Granny.
Pat Howell McKinley is living in Cedar Vale, Ks. She worked at the school, maybe as a teacher until she retired. Her husband, Bud, rodeod also. Their son, Bill, was our vet for awhile. I've never met Pat personally, but I wanted to pass along her whereabouts if you wanted to get in touch with her. I attended the rodeo at Moline on Saturday night. The quality of contests was impressive and it's too bad that the rodeo committees of these small town shows don't understand the importance of the arena footing for the stock and contestants. Moline had one chance to make a good impression on those contestants and blew it. On the other side of the coin, I also can rationalize the importance of your time when you are a volunteeer and your choices are taking care of your own livelyhood or working up the local arena. Enough of my soapbox.

Back to Harold and Lillian. They were two corkers for sure. You always knew the party was just getting started when "Hoot" would start singing "Shangai Rooster". They were awsome dancers and enjoyed themselves.
Age & treachery will outlast youth & skill any time !!!!!!!!!!

Ole Granny

Thanks for the update.  It is a shame that the arena did not meet minimal approval.  I remember when the rodeo lasted late into the night.  Contestants remember next time around. 
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk