Quick Trip

Started by W. Gray, September 07, 2007, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Just returned from a quick trip to Howard, Moline, and Winfield.

Went to Jim and Lila's Café in Piedmont one evening and she has very good food. Lila says she has been in business for forty-four years. When asked how much longer she was going to stick with it she said, "Not much longer, I hope." However, she did not show any indication whether she was serious.

The doughnut shop is closed and apparently has been for a while. If it was mentioned on the forum, I certainly missed it.

Went over to the Elk Falls Café but even though the sign on the highway said it was open, it was closed.

Made a usual trip to Swinging Bridge Cafe in Moline.

At Toots, I fleetingly saw a posting that there is or is going to be a new business in Howard and the owner was offering 125 or 150 dollars in prizes for suggestion of a name for that business.

There was a concrete spill on K-99 at the road to the lake. We were held up quite a while until the fire department arrived to wash the pavement off.

Had a lengthy talk with Dwight Winn one afternoon, and he says that Adrian Hebb did have a garage north across the street from the Senior Citizen Building where the Cox building is now.

Zimmerman Funeral Home site sight was a sad one. Has there been an update on his status?

Logo seen on T-shirt at Lila's, "GW Meats, Severy, Kansas, You Cannot Beat Our Meat."
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

Well you thank you Waldo!  :)
What a wonderful batch of sharing.

Would you go on another little trip and come back and report?
I liked hearing all about what you saw.

I didn't know about the new business opening up here?
Can anyone shed any light on that?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Janet Harrington

Something that Dorothy Tiffany is doing.  She is putting stuff in the building that used to be the newspaper office.  Apparently the church that was sponsoring the clothing store decided to quit.  I don't know who owns that building or if Dorothy is buying it.

Mom70x7

Dorothy bought the building and the contents.

She's having a contest to name the business she will house there.
(I don't know what business is going in there - furniture?
I haven't been in the store, so I'm not sure.)
The prize for the winning name is $25;
the address is 125 S Wabash.

Lloyd Zimmerman continues to improve.
I don't have a specific update, but there was a rumor he'd be in town soon to visit.

Rudy Taylor

It truly is "a wonderful life."

W. Gray

I neglected to thank Jim Lane for cleaning out the downspout on my mother's house. It is nice she has good neighbors.

Her house is under some big trees and she quite frequently has stoppages. I unstopped another one when I was there in June. By the time, I get back it will be time to clean out all the eaves and downspouts.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk