Rural Library Broadband

Started by Leonardcrl, May 10, 2010, 12:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

I don't disagree rudy on what your saying but the problem isn't that we don't agree that the opportunities increase with it.  The problem is that there should be no federal funding of it and if there is a need for it in a community (need also means enough people using that resource on a daily basis for more than checking their facebook and email accounts) then the need can be met locally.  Its about 100 bucks a month or so for satellite service.   It would really need to service at least 100 people a month to be justified expense. OF which can be done by donations or a service fee for use.  I wouldn't be at all opposed to having people pay a buck a hour access.thats reasonable.  Shoot coffee shops are higher dollar. 
In fact, libraries are in towns mostly, why not instead of setting up a sat service for just the library, why not setup a wifi for the entire town area.

Secondly, wireless internet is the future.  Broadband is going to be on the way out.  Wireless internet is done by creating a grid of users acting as repeaters for the net.  You connect each grid through a local isp or wireless phone company.  This is more efficient than one sat service for a library.  Instead of taking tax dollars to fund 1 institution, why not provide it for the entire town for the same cost?
Now that would be a effective use of tax dollars and could be supported very easily.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Varmit

Srkruzich, I see what you're saying but...NO NO NO!  Provide internet service thru tax dollars??  No way!  Plain and simple if a person wants internet service THEY should pay for it.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

jerry wagner

Quote from: Varmit on May 13, 2010, 12:05:57 PM
Srkruzich, I see what you're saying but...NO NO NO!  Provide internet service thru tax dollars??  No way!  Plain and simple if a person wants internet service THEY should pay for it.

Providing equal access would provide equal opportunities and helps a community to thrive.... It isn't about YOUR wallet.

srkruzich

Quote from: jerry wagner on May 13, 2010, 04:53:07 PM
Providing equal access would provide equal opportunities and helps a community to thrive.... It isn't about YOUR wallet.
Sure it is jerry, it is about our wallets.  Internet is not a necessity. So why is it that we have to pay for someone elses internet???   Next thing you'll be wanting is for us to pay for your cable and your rent...
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Varmit

Quote from: jerry wagner on May 13, 2010, 04:53:07 PM

The hell if its not about my wallet!  I pay for my own access, why should I have to pay for someone elses?  It is already equal in that we each have the opportunity to pay for our own.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk