I need to know...

Started by Kjell H., July 11, 2007, 11:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

probably most of us have someone in Iraq, been there, or at least someone we know.  I just have to relay this story, cause thought of Derick when I was watch this video.  The neighbors across the road when we lived in Severy had two little kids.  A boy and a girl.  I just always thought of them as "the neighbor kids" and that's about it.  Their dad told me one day that Derick was in Iraq, had joined right out of high school.  I got his address and as a gesture of "thanks" sent him a Christmas card and enclosed a pre-paid phone card.  He immediately wrote me a letter and thanked me and told me about what he could about his duties in Iraq.  We exchanged letters on a regular basis after that, taking about 6 weeks for them to go one way.  I'd just tell him small going's on in Severy, and etc.  One day there was a knock on the door, I answered and there was the "neighbor boy", standing tall in his uniform and smiling.  Just wanted to let me know he was home and to say hi and to let me know how much he appreciated my taking the time to write to him.  (small sacrifice on my part, just a few minutes of a evening, but it meant a lot to him).  We visited and all at once it hit me, Derick is not just the neighbor boy anymore, he is a grown man, grew up too fast in a far away place, doing his part to protect the freedom of his family, his neighbors and others like us.  His tour of duty over there was during the very beginning - he's home now, he's safe and I still get a smile and wave when I see him, but he has moved on with his life and God Bless Him and other's like him.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

emptynest

Flo---I know this Derrick that you speak of ---- taught him in grade school.  And you're right--his smile is unforgettable.  I, too, am always so proud of a former student that goes into any branch of the armed services.  And like Derrick, they acknowledge those who communicated with them while they were gone.  When I see them--especially in uniform--- I have to control my tears and my hugging, because you just want to grab them and give them the biggest, tightest hug, as though you could protect them forever.  God Bless Our Troops and a special blessing to those serving who have loved ones and dear friends on this forum.

Diane Amberg

While we were at the Orlando airport waiting to board our plane home, a bunch of guys passed us in fatigues, boots, duffles, the works. As they went by, everyone who was evenly remotely close stood up as one and clapped and cheered. You would have thought we had rehearsed it. Some stopped to shake hands, all smiled and a few turned beet red! I think many of us hate the politics but support the troops in every way possible.   

kdfrawg

You can include me in that group, Diane. I come from a military family and always find myself 110% behind the people who have to fight the battles. Although they tend to make the best of it and try to put on a good face, the hardships are great. But there are some times and places where we have no business putting their lives on the line, and now and the Middle East qualifies. I applaud their bravery and their selfless response to our protection, but I very badly want them out of George's private war and back home, safe and sound, with their families.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk