VINETTE, Helen (Thornton) - d. April 2, 2005

Started by genealogynut, August 11, 2006, 08:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Thursday, April 7, 2005
Winfield Daily Courier

Helen T. Vinette 91, of St. Mary's, formerly of Howard, died April 2, 2005, at St. Mary's Manor.

The Rosary was said at 6 p.m. Tuesday and a Mass of Christian burial was celebrated at 7:15 a.m. today, both at the Assumption Chapel of the Society of St. Pius X, St. Mary's.

Services will be 10:30 a.m. Friday at Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard.  Pastor Robin Haines will officiate.  Burial will be in Grace Lawn Cemetery.  Piper Funeral Home of St. Mary's and Zimmerman Funeral Home are in charge of arrangements.

In 1943, she married attorney Darrel Vinette from Howard.  They had six children.

Before her retirement in 1977, Vinette was a high school librarian and teacher of English, Latin and French in Howard.  Previously, she had taught at Edgerton and Basehor.  She was also an accomplished pianist and organist.

Her husband and two sons, Robert Vinette and Darrel Lee Vinette, preceded her in death.

She is survived by three daughter, Mary Elliott, Topeka, Jeanne Bjorklund, Oakhurst, Calif, and Janet Lupardo, Scottsdale, Ariz; a son, Rex Vinette, Wakarusa, Kansas, and six grandchildren.

Teresa

Poor Helen. We gave her fits in school. She was the French teacher and also was in the library working when we were in Study hall. I remember when Rick Lanning was in study hall (which was at different times and always in the library).  She told him to do something (probably to quit causing disruption and acting the fool and clown.  :) and he threatened to jump out of the window...
This was on the 2nd story.. and she was so mad at him.. she got out of her chair to probably grab his arm and sash-shay him to the principal's office...and by golly, he jumped!
He actually jumped out the window..  :o
Of course having a class of idiot high schoolers (me included) we all thought it was terribly funny.
**to look back now, I sometimes wonder at our level of intelligence when it came to humor  ::)**

He had nowhere to go after he jumped (wonder it didn't break his leg) so Mr Davis caught up with him after he came back in the school house.. and he was kicked out for the next day.

After Mark and I were married, Robert Vinette ..(Benny)  was a permanent fixture at our house for about 20 years..( along with a few other "good ole' boys" ) as he and Mark were best friends, so I got to know Helen very well..and we had lots of good laughs at our antics when we were in school.
She said she wondered if any of us would ever grow up to be worth anything..
but we did... thank goodness.. :D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

genealogynut

I do remember Helen Vinette, and how she was trying to teach some of us girls how to knit.  But as far as any incidences, my mind comes up blank.  It is Agnes Barnaby that I remember----one day while I was in her class, someone handed me a big bright red piece of hard candy. I unwrapped it and popped it into my mouth, then all of a sudden, Mrs. Barnaby started yelling at me, She had a voice that carried all over the building.  She told me to come up to the trash can and get rid of that candy.  We had a metal trash can that was empty and when I threw that hard candy in, it made a real loud "plunk" and the sound reverberated all over third floor.

I definitely was not saint myself while in high school.  I remember one time while in Biology class, some of us girls turned some frogs loose.  And one day when I was in the Home Ec room, someone came in and said that an "unknown" person had tried to flush a classmates pep club skirt down the toilet.  I was innocent and really unaware of all the details, but later someone was trying to pin it on me.

I'm like you, I cuold probably write a book on high school memories.

kfclark

Helen lived next door to my grandparents, Arch and Opal (Barnaby Spencer) Clark and was a wonderful neighbor to them.  I loved to listen to her stories of when she was teaching.  Today I found my Grandma Opal's copy of the Elk County History book and inside was a handwritten thankyou note that I thought I would share here.

Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Spencer
Thank you so much for the luncheon set.  It was so nice of you to remember us with such a practical and lovely gift.
Sincerely yours,
Mr. and Mrs. Darrel Vinette

If any member of the Vinette family would like to have it, I will be happy to send it to them.

Kevin Clark

Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

kfclark

Here is a scan of the actual letter.
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

genealogynut

I am wondering what the occasion was--------wedding......anniversary? 

Janet Harrington

Yep.  That is Mrs. Vinette's handwriting.  Ah!!!  I remember it well.

Jo McDonald

Oh My !!!  How I loved that lady.  I only knew her through her teaching years as "Mrs. Vinette" from Teresa -- and then through our affilation with Order of Eastern Star.  When I got my cosmetology license in 1975 and had my own salon, she became one of my weekly patons, and we became very very close friends.  She asked me one day, "Jo, would you like for me to knit you a sweater'?  WOULD I EVER !!!  so she told me to buy the yarn and she would do that for me, just because she wanted to.  It was beautiful  a coral knit with a full cowl collar.  I was so very proud of that sweater - then she gave me many, many tatted things - doilies - collars -- Lovely Christmas ornaments --- I have all of them and would give anything if she could walk in and sit and visit with me again.  I cherished her friendship and we had so many laughs and shared a few secrets too.
What a delight she was and such a devoted Mother and Grandmother.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk