CLARK, Florence Opal (Barnaby) (Spencer) b. July 19, 1901 - d. October 18, 2002

Started by Janet Harrington, September 16, 2006, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

In Loving Memory of Opal Clark

Florence Opal Clark passed away on Friday, October 18, 2002 at the Howard Twilight Manor nursing home in Howard, Kansas.  She was 101 years of age and a long time resident of Howard.  Opal, as she was known, was born on July 19, 1901 on a farm west of Howard to John Edward and Arminta (Maloney) Barnaby.

She attended rural Elk County schools and graduated from Howard High School.  Opal completed Normal Training and taught at Crackerbox rural school in Elk County during the late 1920's and early 1930's.  She married Glenn M. Spencer and they made their home in Howard, Kansas where they owned and operated Spencer Abstract Company.  Their young son, Rober Eugene Spencer, passed away on Septamber 21, 1940.  Glenn preceded her in death on February 24, 1957.

On May 24, 1958, she was united in marriage with Archie Burton Clark at Garnett, Kansas by Rev. Phonce Mitchell.  Opal was a devoted wife and dedicated her life to making a home for her family in the Howard community.  Arch worked as an agent for Kansas Gas and Electric and Opoal was employed for several years as the Howard office manager for KG&E.  Arch preceded her in death on October 26, 1987.

Opal lived in Phoenix, Arizona for a brief time, but lived in Elk County during most of her lilfe.  She was a member of the American Legion Auxiliary of Carter-Rader Post #149 for 79 years, and was a long time member of the Howard United Methodist Church.

She is survived by a step-son, Charles Clark, M.D. of Del Mar, California; seven step-grandchildren Marye Dorsa of Oceanside, California, Chris Clark of Los Gatos, California, Martha Clark of Escondido, California, Melissa Arribere of Encinitas, California, Alan Clark of Salem, Oregon, Kevin Clark of Cedar Park, Texas and Jennifer Semler of Cedar Park, Texas, and eight step-great-grand children.  She is also survived by her sister-in-law, Margaret Barnaby of Great Bend, Kansas; her neices, Katherine Riggs of Olathe, Kansas, Leota Cass of Severy and Judith Barnaby of Great Bend, Kansas and her nephews, Dennis Barnaby and Richard Barnaby, both of Great Bend, Kansas.

Funeral services were held at 11:00 a.m. Friday, october 25, 2002 at the Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard with Rev. Julie Shields and Rev. Gary Parsons officiating.  Betty Russell was the organist with Louise Morgan singing "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" and "Amazing Grace".  The casket bearers were Alan Bruner, Rod Bruner, Kevin Clark, Lynn perkins, Pat Preston and Robert Vinette.  The honorary casket bearers were Ann Ames, Dorothy Jones, Izola Moore and Dorothy Pagan.  Interment was held at Grace Lawn Cemetery in Howard.  A memorial has been established with Howard United methodist Church.  Contributions may be left with the funeral home.  The funeral arrangements were made with the Zimmerman Funeral Home of Howard.

genealogynut

Does anyone know where Crackerbox rural school was located in Elk County?  Also, for those who are unaware.........at one time Opal's step-son, Charles Clark, was married to Dorothy Denton, who in later years was known as Dorothy Pagan.

Janet Harrington

Typing up this obit on Opal Clark is the first time I have ever heard of Crackerbox school.  I don't know if Mrs. Margaret Gragg would know or if Miss Agnes Miller would know.  I can't remember if the Register of Deeds office has a list of those old schools or not.  Would it be in the Elk County History book???

genealogynut

Don has already checked the Elk County History Book and we tried putting the name in thru Google search and batted zero for Elk County, Kansas.  We got about everything else, but what we were looking for.

Janet Harrington

How interesting.  The next step is to ask one of the old one room school house teachers.  I will see if I can come up with an answer.

kfclark

Hi,
I wrote Opal's obituary with information I got from her neices, Katherine Riggs of Olathe, Kansas and Leota Cass of Severy.  I do remember this much from talking with Grandma Opal, the school she taught at was South and East of town and she walked from town every day. I know it was really really a long way, she never learned to drive a car.  In the Elk County Book, it shows that in 1927-1928 she was teaching at Pleasant Hill.

Kevin Clark
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

genealogynut

It sounds like you are bursting at the seams with information, will you please share it with us?  :) I will try to keep my mouth shut and listen.  :-X :-X

frawin

I called my mother, who has lived in Elk County all of her life, and she thought that Crackerbox was north of Howard on what we alwasys called The Hill Road past where Frank McLin's lived a short distance and was on the east side of the road.  I remember a schoolhouse being there as a child as after Upper Paw Paw & Lower Paw paw consolidated we had a bus route that went down that way.  She said there was a school house on the road where The Copper Head Gulch Ranch is/was 
by the name of Excelsor and she thought it was sometimes nicknamed crackerbox.  That would have been a very long walk if indeed.
Myrna

frawin

Hi Kevin, I notice that your Grandmother Gladys was teaching at Clearcreek School in 1927-1928. That is probably where she met your Grandfather Guy V. as he lived right there by Clearcreek.
Frank Winn

frawin

I checked with Agnes Miller and she told me that the Crackerbox Schoolhouse was indeed just north of the old Frank McLin place a short distance and on the east side of the road.  That is the road that goes north from where Jody & Fred lived on the west side of town.  We always called it the Hill Road.

I also checked with Mrs. Taylor & Mrs.Gragg and they didn't know where it was, so got in touch with Agnes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk