DENTON, Gladys Viola (Morgan) - b. July 31, 1908 - d. April 28, 2002

Started by genealogynut, February 10, 2007, 07:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Winfield Courier
Thursday, May 2, 2002

HOWARD-- Gladys Viola Denton, 93, of Howard, died April 28, 2002, at Howard Twilight Manor.

Services will be at 1:30 p.m., Monday at the United Methodist Church.  The Revs. Kibum Kim and Gary Parsons will officiate.  Burial will be in Grace Lawn Cemetery.

Memorials have been established with Howard Twilight Manor, Carter-Rader Post 149 American Legion Auxiliary, Howard United Methodist Church and Howard Senior Center.  Contributions may be made through Zimmerman Funeral Home.

Denton was born July 31, 1908, in Howard, to Annie May (McConihey) and Joseph Wilbert Morgan.  She attended Mary Bell rural school and graduated from Howard High School.

After receiving a normal training certificate, she taught at Clear Creek grade school for two years..  Later in life, she became a licensed practical nurse and was employed at Winfield State Hospital and Training Center for several years.

On June 6, 1928, she married Guy Vernet Denton in Howard.  They lived in the Clear Creek community until moving to Howard in 1935.  Her husband died Jan. 12, 1959.

A homemaker, Denton was a longtime member of the Howard United Methodist Church.

A son, Guy Morgan Denton, preceded her in death.

Survivors include a daughter, Dorothy Pagan, Howard, nine grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren and nine step great-grandchildren.

kfclark

Frank Winn mentioned that since my Grandma Gladys was teaching school at Clear Creek in 1927-28 that is probably where she met her husband Guy V.  Here is the story Grandma told me about how she and Guy V. got together.

After completing her normal teacher training, Gladys Morgan did indeed teach school in Clear Creek.  She boarded with a family (I don't remember who) and so did Guy Denton.  Shortly after Gladys moved in, the lady of the house told Gladys, "I think Guy must be sweet on you, he has been staying home every night instead of going into town."  It did not take too long before they were engaged.

Grandma told me this story one summer as we were taking the back road to Piedmont to eat Mexican food at the Piedmont Diner.  This was in the late 1970's the summer before the Piedmont diner blew up from a gas leak.
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk