Are there elk in Elk County?

Started by ddurbin, April 17, 2007, 04:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin

Seeing Lois Morgan's latest photo on her posts got me to wondering---is there anyone in Elk County today that raises elk? 

genealogynut

I will venture at guessing there isn't anyone that raises elk in our home county.   For a more accurate answer, you might try contacting the fish and game warden for that area, or maybe TaTa (Janet) can answer that.

Janet Harrington

That's a big negative.  There is a deer ranch that raises big white tail deer, then sells permits to hunt them, but right at the moment I can't remember what the name of it is.  The ranch is south of Longton and has big, big fences around their acreage to raise the biggest white tails that they can.  If I think of the name, I'll let you know.

ddurbin

Rim Rock Ranch is the place you're thinking of.  My family owned land that adjoined them to the west up until a few years ago.  I think there was a story out 2-3 years ago about someone planning on starting an elk ranch in the eastern part of the county, but I never heard if it actually happened.

genealogynut

It sticks in my memory that about a year or so ago I seen an auction sign out there by Kirk's Mini Mart at Longton where there was to be an auction of the Rim Rock Ranch, and it gave the directions on where it was located.

Janet Harrington

Yep.  Rim Rock Ranch.  I have no clue if it still exits or anything about it.  I know right before I was diselected, Rim Rock Ranch had taken out a loan from the county, micro loan or something like that, so I don't know what has happened with that.

LisaT

I think they do have elk out there. Or they did have because there were stock trailer loads went thru one day with them. If you don't think that wasn't weird to see!!!!

Janet Harrington

Here is their website.  I don't see anything about elk on there.   However; maybe there is.

http://www.huntrimrockranch.com/index.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk