Locust tree thorns

Started by Joanna, March 26, 2007, 02:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

Do any of you know if locust tree thorns are really poison, or just plain hurtful?  I remember someone telling me once that they were poison, but it seems to me I've been stuck before and not had any trouble.  Of course, I wan't "alergic" to poison ivy before I had children either...
I got a pretty good stab in my leg this morning, and while I cleaned it up and it doesn't really hurt, I just wanted to know if I should watch for anything besides normal minor stuff...

By the way, have you noticed my weinie roast piles?  We're going to need really l-o-n-g roasting sticks for these fires.   ;D  Clay was home to help us this weekend, and I really feel good about what we accomplished cutting brush; but BOY, am I sore!  I just try to think of this as my new gym membership, I get a free 3 or 4 hour workout every day (more if I can stand it!)  HA! Wonder if I could get anyone else in town to sign up?   ;)

Wilma

I have never found locust thorns to be poisonous and, believe me, I have been stuck by the best of them.  Are these regular locust or honey locust.  The honey locust has extra big thorns, in clusters.  Not that it makes any difference.  The punctures are pretty much like a rose thorn.  Can get sore and red.

Joanna

Thanks Wilma.  That's what I remembered too, but I feel better checking with someone else.  I don't think these are honey locust, they had lots and lots of thorns, but not in clusters.  There aren't any leaves yet, so can't tell for sure; though there is plenty of sap in them.  HA!  I guess I'm not even sure they're locust, but that's what the thorns look like anyhow. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk