Teacher's Certificates (1917)

Started by genealogynut, February 28, 2007, 04:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
July 19, 1917

The following certificates were issued, following the examinations of June 22-23 and 29-30.

(These are extractions)

Emma Hufford,      Severy           
Lois Davis,             Longton
Mrs. Ora White,     Elk Falls
Nina Logsdon,       Moline
Gladys Jones,        Moline
Mabel Neff,           Howard
Myrtle Preston,      Howard
Ruby McSpadden,  Moline
Greta Schmidt,      Severy
Otis Holtsclaw,       Longton
Hazel Watkins,       Severy
Ollie Mae Sweet,   Grenola
Rose Jacot,          Moline

emptynest

Lois,

Do you have any information on what had to be accomplished to receive a teaching certificate in the early 1900's?  I may have heard it before and I think I have even seen a teaching contract from then, but it would be interesting to know.  Especially since I just recently renewed mine for the 5th time.

genealogynut

As far as having factual information, I'm afraid I am empty handed.  I know my own grandmother was a school teacher in the 1920-30s, and I know that she didn't go to college, but just what the requirements were to get the teaching certifcate is unknown to me.  In a number of articles I have posted, there have been young women just out of high school that began teaching school, so from the sounds of it, they had to take an examination of some sorts to get their certification.  In Elk County, there used to be an office for County Superintendent of Schools, and I think those records are probably found in the Register of Deeds office now, so maybe Neva would be able to help you more.  Good Luck to you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk