Grade School Building

Started by W. Gray, December 13, 2015, 06:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

This is a June 2014 view of the old grade school on Randolph. I keep hearing, or reading, that someone is going to tear this building down.

Anyone know of any progress being made?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Mom70x7

I'll see if I can find some pictures and post later. Harrod's bought the building and are slowly tearing it down. My Jim is helping; he's taking out the wood and some fixtures and sorting it for them. They've had several good bonfires burning some of the stuff.

W. Gray

Thanks, some photos would be great!
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

I attended School from First thru the 8th grade in that Building, it saddens me to see it like it is. My wife and I both Graduated from the 8th grade in the Auditorium. In the Early days all of the students from all of the Rural Schools came into Howard to graduate, because  the County Superintendents office was there. If memory serves me correctly, Ruth Flory Sexton, was the County Superintendent.

W. Gray

I knew at one time when that building was erected. In the late thirties, maybe. Do you recall?

The high school replacing the stone structure was built on that same lot facing Pennsylvania. Did you attend that school? Do you recall when was it torn down?

Do you remember when the new grade school was built on the south part of the lot?

patyrn

The newer building on the south side of the property was not an elementary school.  It housed the cafeteria, the industrial arts department, drafting room, agriculture/welding shop, and the FFA.  The grade school that is now being torn down was always the grade school.  I think the cafeteria building was built in the mid 1950s.  My sister was a 1955 graduate, and that building was new during her high school years.  Before that, Howard didn't have a cafeteria.  I assume the students either brought their lunches or walked home for lunch. 

There was a number plate with a date on the north side of the grade school building, and my husband thinks it said 1937.  One of his friends thinks the building wasn't finished until the 1939 school year, but we have no proof of that. 

W. Gray

Quote from: patyrn on December 13, 2015, 01:43:14 PM
The newer building on the south side of the property was not an elementary school.  It housed the cafeteria, the industrial arts department, drafting room, agriculture/welding shop, and the FFA.  The grade school that is now being torn down was always the grade school.  I think the cafeteria building was built in the mid 1950s.  My sister was a 1955 graduate, and that building was new during her high school years.  Before that, Howard didn't have a cafeteria.  I assume the students either brought their lunches or walked home for lunch. 

There was a number plate with a date on the north side of the grade school building, and my husband thinks it said 1937.  One of his friends thinks the building wasn't finished until the 1939 school year, but we have no proof of that.

Thanks for that info. I always thought that area was rather small for a grade school.

Mom70x7

Here's some pictures from October 2015. You can see where Jim's been taking out the window woodwork. The other photo is from just this last week. They are tearing down the south portion.

W. Gray

That block will never be the same once it is down. Thanks for those photos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk