PRIES, Armilda "Millie" - b. March 16, 1874 - d. December 28, 1960

Started by genealogynut, December 15, 2006, 07:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Her obituary appeared in the Howard Courant-Citizen on December 29 (?), 1960.  Below is a picture of her gravestone and obituary.

Wilma

Good job, Lois.  That should answer a lot of questions.

W. Gray

The article says she died in the Howard Nursing Home in 1960. I can't recall when the Twilight Manor was built but my understanding is that before it came on the scene there was a small nursing home in a residential house at the corner of Washington and Chestnut.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

Waldo,

We talked about that nursing home under the Glenda Mills obit.  Glenda Beaumont Mills grew up in the house that is on the soutwest corner of Chestnut and Washington.  Glenda's mother, Mrs. Westwood, ran a private nursing home in that house.  I don't remember when Twilight Manor started taking residents, either.

genealogynut

Don said he can remember doing some of the dirt work when Twilight Manor was being built, so in our calculations that had to have been during the early 1960's.  I think surely Millie Pries must have been in the Westwood care home in 1960.

genealogynut

Don also found this information on page 90 of the History Book, under Parks.  The Twilight Manor was opened for use in 1966.

Janet Harrington

I think we should put Don to work.  What do you say?  Thanks, Don.

genealogynut

Ah-h-h-h-h!  Little do you know, Ta Ta! ;D ;D  I put Don to work a long time ago, as he works "behind the scenes."   "My assistant" enjoys working with pictures, resizing them, tweaking them, etc.  He seems to do a much better job at using the digital camera than I do.  I have problems in trying to remember how to work all this fancy gadgetry.  I learned how to use the first scanner that we had, and just when I got it half-way learned, the dumb thing went bonkers, and I can't seem to keep up with each piece of the new modern technology.  So, I have Don to thank for all he has done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk