LOYD, Allen Leo Jr. - b. September 26, 1923 - d. April 2, 2012

Started by patyrn, May 18, 2012, 09:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Allen Leo Loyd, Jr. of Ottawa, Kansas, the eldest of three children of Gertrude and Allen Loyd, Sr. was born September 26, 1923.  He passed away April 2, 2012.

Allen graduated from Howard High School in Howard, Kansas in 1941.  He attended the College of Emporia and then entered the Army and Army Air Corps in February 1943 and was discharged in December 1945 after nearly three years of service.  When he returned to Kansas, he worked at Santa Fe Trailways Bus Company as a relief agent.  This company later became Continental Trailways, and he became a depot manager in Pittsburg, Kansas and then transferred to Wichita, Kansas.  He later worked for Cessna Aircraft as a supervisor in airline parts production planning and also worked for Beech Aircraft.  He worked for several constructions companies, and then formed Loyd Construction Company in Ottawa, Kansas which specialized in commercial buildings.  In 1972, Loyd Construction became Loyd Builders and he was joined by Sonny Burch and Jerry Thompson in the business.  Allen retired in 1988.

In 1975, Allen was Mayor of Ottawa and served on the city council for four years, was president of the Chamber of Commerce four years, was president of Ottawa Industrial Development Inc., and was on the Board of Ottawa University for six years.  After retirement, he was on the COF (Coffey, Osage, and Franklin) Board of Directors.  He was a member of the Ottawa Library Board for many years.  He organized the entire community to remodel the Don Woodland Boys Club and acted as general contractor on a volunteer basis.  He was also a member of Grace Community Fellowship Church of Ottawa.

Allen was united in marriage with Virginia Rader Loyd on March 8, 1947 in Emporia, Kansas.  They shared over 56 years of marriage before she passed away in March of 2003.  In January 2006, Allen married Maggie Bartow Loyd, who survives at their home.  He is also survived by four children: Doug, an architect in Ottawa, Kansas, Allen III, a retired city manager who lives in Kansas City, Kathryn Winters, an attorney in Tucson, Arizona, and Linda Loyd, a newspaper reporter in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; six grandchildren; five step-children and 26 step-great-grandchildren; and two sisters, Mary Ellen Burch of Ottawa, Kansas and Nadine Fickle, of Howard, Kansas.

Memorial funeral services were held April 21, 2012 at Grace Community Fellowship, 501 S. Poplar in Ottawa, Kansas.  Burial followed at Highland Cemetery.  The family suggests memorials can be made to the Ottawa Library or Grace Community Fellowship in care of Lamb-Roberts Funeral Home, 325 S. Hickory, Ottawa, Kansas 66067.  Condolences may be sent to the family at www.lamb-roberts.com

(taken from the Lamb-Roberts Funeral Home website)

Janet Harrington

Allen Loyd, or Sonny, as my dad called him, was my dad's first cousin. His mother, Gertrude Weyrauch Loyd, was daddy's aunt. Anyway, what I learned from this obit was that Allen was older than my dad. I had no idea. I remember going to Aunt Gertie's one time and I think Sonny was there. I just remember a tall man talking to my dad. I think this was a house that was on the west side of Howard or just outside of Howard. Mother would have to remind me where Aunt Gertie lived when we were little kids.

patyrn

I think the Loyd home was near where David Denton now lives on the west side of Howard.  Their house is no longer standing.

Janet Harrington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk