2625 foot Solar Tower coming to Arizona

Started by Warph, April 09, 2012, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Gizmag has an update on weird Australian solar thermal power tower company Enviromission - Twice the height of the Empire State - EnviroMission plans massive solar tower for Arizona.
http://www.gizmag.com/enviromission-solar-tower-arizona-clean-energy-renewable/19287/

An ambitious solar energy project on a massive scale is about to get underway in the Arizona desert. EnviroMission is undergoing land acquisition and site-specific engineering to build its first full-scale solar tower - and when we say full-scale, we mean it! The mammoth 800-plus meter (2625 ft) tall tower will instantly become one of the world's tallest buildings. Its 200-megawatt power generation capacity will reliably feed the grid with enough power for 150,000 US homes, and once it's built, it can be expected to more or less sit there producing clean, renewable power with virtually no maintenance until it's more than 80 years old. In the video after the jump, EnviroMission CEO Roger Davey explains the solar tower technology, the Arizona project and why he couldn't get it built at home in Australia

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

How To Build Your Own Solar Panel

Affordablesolarframes.com

Mark of Affordable Solar Frames shows you how to build your own solar panel from scratch.  This video will provide you with the materials you need and a step by step process to build your own solar frame at home at a very discounted price, with better quality.  Encapsulation sylgard 184 - I buy our cells from Mlsolar off ebay...

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Ross

That is a pretty amazing idea.

But once again a foreign companyng building the thing on our soil.

If my calculations are right from the facts they provided on their web site they should be able to take home to Australia approximately $600,000,000 in profit, possibly?

Just like the windfarm taking approximately the same amount home to Italy, right?

I wonder

Warph

Yeah... know what you mean.  I remember reading about this idea in Australia years ago but it never got off the ground and I notice the video didn't go into detail why it wasn't built.  They had planned to build one over 3000 ft. in 2001. 

I found this today... probably more info out there.
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/news/news_detail.cfm/news_id=6047?print

Something smells here!  I need to check into it more.  I'll see if I can get in touch with Trent Franks and see if he knows what is going on.
--Warph

-- Warph

redcliffsw

Looks like another government investment for the community. 

The wind farm is a good reminder how tyranny works for us. 

Ross

Here is an interesting concept.
Only on the drawing board as I understand it.

Wind Power Without the Blades: Big Pics

Warph

One never knows, does one.  But what's to keep those little itty-bitty grains of sand from clogging up the works.  Last I looked, Abu Dhabi is one big sand dune.
It looks like a whimmy-diddle thingamajig contraption to me.  And the under-water thingamajig... I can see it now, "Sorry Sheik Abdul Rahman Al Saud but all of your 14 crown princes that were swimming near the under-water Windstalks just got B-B-Q'd."
--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk