The Great State of Kansas

Started by W. Gray, January 29, 2012, 03:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

My nephew recently sent this photo to me labeling it as "The Great State of Kansas."

I had to chuckle.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Sorry he missed the best part of the state.

flintauqua

Remember "Kansas . . . As Big As You Think!"
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

W. Gray

When I was working at the Defense Finance Center in Denver, everyone I knew there believed that Kansas was flat and boring.

When these people went to Kansas it was usually a trip through on I-70.

When I would try to tell them the rest of the state, especially the southeast, was very nice territory everyone chuckled. They could not be convinced.

There was also a standing joke that when someone lived a distance to the east of Denver and commuted to work at the center they were known as living in Kansas because of the mileage they traveled.

Much of the state of Colorado east of Denver along I-70 looks like the photo.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Yup, I made the mistake once of taking a bus from Topeka to Denver...Thought I was going to die from lack of sensory input! ;D ;D ;D

Teresa

When we are traveling, and I tell people where we are.. I ALWAYS add the fact that we are from the pretty part of Kansas.. with lots of hills and trees. And I add that we are an hour and a half north of Oklahoma.. That goes ahead and gives validation that we are close to trees. LOL
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

An account I have read about the Osage being moved from southeast Kansas to Indian Territory in 1870/71 is that the tribe was quite disappointed with the move because their new territory was not as nice or as productive as what they had left in Kansas.

jpbill

Little did the Osage tribe know but their new reservation was sitting on a lake of black gold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk