Friends of Elk Falls

Started by W. Gray, September 14, 2011, 10:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

We've gone a few times since we moved back from Texas.  We always enjoy seeing the outhouses, visiting.  We have run into people from many places that have come there.  I know that when they first started it, they had an elderly couple that would come and set up a sorghum mill and grind sorghum with a team of horses.  Mother really enjoyed that, but unfortunately, they have passed on.  One year, a couple built a replica of the old mill for the Fry's.  In fact, it is still on display at the pottery shop.  My great great grandfather helped build it.  This is my mother's hometown, so it is always fun to stop by and visit and talk about "days gone by".

Myrna

greatguns

Not a bad place to get some small Christmas gifts either.  I usually buy some sorgum and honey.  Love looking at all the crafts.

doobie

Although I was a resident of the Village of Elk Falls, it took me about six or seven years before I participated in the "Tour".  You can see outhouses from something neat and tidy to completely bizarre!! One recent entry from the bizarre category was the infamous Far Outhouse once visited by Jimi Hendrix on a "trip" through here. All the outhouses are listed on a map and are reachable by walking from entry to entry.  The food that is served by as many as six to eight vendors is State Fair quality.  The item receiving the rave reviews are Apple Dumplings, served hot and extremely edible.  Many people return yearly simply to have Apple Dumplings.  The old gym is full of vendors selling hand crafted items that are one of a kind, and make great gifts, or a present for yourself. So for a great "day" trip in Kansas, the Ol' Doobie would recommend trying it at least once, you will come back!!! Don't forget--the 3rd weekend of November--see ya there, or in my case here.........................Don't worry about it beeing cold, we always order nice weather!!!!!
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

Janet Harrington

Wow. You should write advertisements. LOL

doobie

Janet-you know I was blessed with the art of BS, also received a Doctorate in it in the early seventies.  I take pride in bending the truth to fit my situation-------Except of course in the rare instances I had a "scrape with you as our Sheriff.  At NO time did I ever even think of fabricating facts concerning an investigation concerning myself.............................HONEST, I think I kinda told the truth!!!!
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

Teresa

Can I eat my apple dumpling sitting in one of the shitters??   errrr. I mean the outhouse??  ;D ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

doobie

If you call ahead Teresa we can get you a "seat" Please don't "dump" what is left over.  We hate things to go to "waste"

Janet Harrington

doobie, you never could lie to me. All I had to do was look at you and everything you knew came spilling out whether I wanted to know it or not. God, how you can talk. LOL

doobie

It will surely make me sleep better at night knowing I had your complete respect, Janet-----I have forty three dollars and ninteen cents, money from my paper route, ready to "donate" to your campaign the minute you announce you're running!!!!!!  ----the 'ol doobie----

Judy Harder

Doobie, You are FULL of IT!!
You have come a LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ways. LOL
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk