West Elk School Board

Started by Mom70x7, September 17, 2011, 10:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Enjoyed the meeting Monday night (the 12th). It ran late, ending just before midnight.

When the meeting started, at 7:30 pm, the room was packed and people kept coming in. Most of them were students for government class. Some teachers were there, to show off their programs and/or to see what happened with some of the items on the agenda.

What I really liked, however, was the discussion among school board members. It was real and items weren't passed with a rubber stamp. Not everyone agreed. Incredibly healthy meeting, well run. I don't agree with all the decisions made, but I certainly liked the discussions prior to those decisions.

One sad note: by the time the meeting ended, most of the people were gone. When the board came out of executive session, I was there as a public citizen, a staff member was there, and that was it. The rest were board members, the board secretary and the superintendent.

Whether you like or don't like what's going on with our schools, the board meetings are the place to be. The current board doesn't make decisions lightly; the members care about the students, the school, and the community. They're aware of the shortfalls of money and the need to do some cost-cutting. I'm very proud of them.

Catwoman

Have they fixed the West Elk School District site so that the school board minutes can be read?

Mom70x7

Not yet - we're still working on it. It's an update thing.

However - the upcoming events are working and the lunch menus are working - so we know where to go and what to eat!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk