Washington Street Damage

Started by W. Gray, July 15, 2011, 08:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I arrived in Howard last week on a Tuesday and immediately noticed all the damage that had been done by the heavy trucks to Washington Street. That normally smoothest street in town was a virtual washboard in many places.

I left town on Wednesday and came back on Saturday and all the rough spots had been fixed.

I also followed the truck route out to the wind farm to take a look at what was going on.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

And so how were the roads out to the wind farm, Waldo?

W. Gray

I first tried on Wednesday after the rain and the road was just too muddy. At the first section road I decided to turn back but did not want to return on that muddy road. I turned south and went by the hog farm. I noted they have put in two or three new hog barns (if that is what they are called).

When the truck route was dry on Saturday, it was in great shape. Little or no wash boarding. Seems like it has been widened quite a bit, also. After I got so far, I somehow drove onto the wind farm, was stopped, and was told to turnaround and go back.

I forget the name of the east west section road out there but they have built a rather impressive substation on it to collect the electricity generated by the mills.

I gathered a ton of dust on my van and drove straight to the car wash. It was only half way working without much power and no soap but, at least, I got the dust off.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk