Post Office drop called Elk River

Started by John, February 25, 2011, 10:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I was reviewing a 1872 Department of Interior map and it showed a site approximately 6 miles west of Howard, probably a post office drop named Elk River.  Anyone know or have any information about this site. 

evanstrail

Marcia provided some excellent insight on this subject over in 'Elk County in the mid-1880s', replies 10 and 12.  Waldo and I also discussed it's location relative to Western Park and Union Center throughout that topic.

Is the 1872 DOI map available to view online, or do you have a scan of it?  If so could you please post the URL or scan so we can all check it out.  We LOVE maps!!!

John

I don't know is its available on line but I will try and get the map scanned and posted. 
also I emailed Waldo scanned maps of the Evan's trail you were talking about except the KS Historical Society had the trail named as the California trail.  I was hoping Waldo could get them posted, since I wasn't able to.

W. Gray

Better late than never, I just read this post of about three weeks ago and here are the maps that John wanted posted.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

evanstrail

Love the maps Waldo and John!  Do you have source citations for them, I'm curious of their origin.  Both show the Cherokee Trail (labeled California Trail from Fayetteville) about where the Fletchers have it in their book on the subject.

First time I've seen the trail labeled "Texas Trail to Cottonwood Falls" and first time I've seen Washington Irvings' route going through Chautauqua County, though I had always thought it might have.

W. Gray

According to the Howard Courant of March 12, 1924, the Indian Creek colony in the northeast  was the first settlement in Elk County.

The same article mentions the second settlement was on Elk River northwest of Howard and mentions the first claim in that area was in 1866.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk