...and ye shall be as gods...

Started by Patriot, December 16, 2010, 12:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Science of man-made life can proceed: White House
Dec 16 10:10 AM US/Eastern
Breitbart.com

The White House on Thursday said the controversial field of synthetic biology, or manipulating the DNA of organisms to forge new life forms, poses limited risks and should be allowed to proceed.

An expert panel convened by President Barack Obama advised vigilance and self-regulation as scientists seeks ways to create new organisms that could spark useful innovations in clean energy, pollution control and medicine.

The Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues "concluded that synthetic biology is capable of significant but limited achievements posing limited risks," it said in its first report.

Full story:  http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.a03843bc6289f00ba74faca28ff52cf9.1e1&show_article=1

And the beat goes on!

Gen 3:5
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Roma Jean Turner

While they are perfecting synthetic biology, I hope they are also perfecting the anecdotes and cures for the unitended consequences of the potential screw ups that human beings are prone to make. I know.  That was a long sentence.

Patriot

Quote from: Roma Jean Turner on December 16, 2010, 02:03:55 PM
While they are perfecting synthetic biology, I hope they are also perfecting the anecdotes and cures for the unitended consequences of the potential screw ups that human beings are prone to make. I know.  That was a long sentence.

But right on point!  Thank you, Roma Jean!

twirldoggy

Tjhe development of life in a synthetic cell is a world changing event.

srkruzich

Sorry twirldoggy but they have not created life.  They have manipulated what is already created.  In essence parts changing. Until they can create it from scratch......

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

twirldoggy

Maybe I was not specific:  ABC news and Diane Sawyer reported that a synthetic cell came to life in a lab in Maryland.    From a religious view, yes God creates life.  But for the first time a cell created by the scientists came to life.  This has the power to create a whole new world for biologists.  For good or for bad.

srkruzich

Quote from: twirldoggy on December 16, 2010, 06:21:03 PM
Maybe I was not specific:  ABC news and Diane Sawyer reported that a synthetic cell came to life in a lab in Maryland.    From a religious view, yes God creates life.  But for the first time a cell created by the scientists came to life.  This has the power to create a whole new world for biologists.  For good or for bad.
Well quite frankly I am not at all comfortable scooping dna out of one cell and putting in odd strains never created before.  Just give it time and someone will mess up.

Don't get me wrong, i am all for science curing things.  I am all for ethically using ones own stem cells to cure things. recently they have found a possible cure for type 1 diabetes.  They take stem cells from the undeveloped cells in the testes and revert them back to stemcells then make them grow as if they were for islets in the pancreas.  That is a major breakthrough. That means if they are sucessful they can tdo this and cure type 1 by grafting islets in place ofthe failed islets without having to take anti rejection drugs.

Its a first step only for type 1 but the next one will be for type 2 which i have. 
I figure it could also lead to growing new hearts and other organs.
AND number one thing is its ethical.  No baby has to die

srkruzich

And i have to say the verse quoted, gods means judges. 

Patriot

Yes, and also rulers, divine ones & angels.  None of which man has been very good at.  Let's hope for better luck with this DNA in a blender game!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk