NEWMAN, Gerald Robert - b. July 26, 1944 - d. July 23. 2010

Started by patyrn, July 27, 2010, 06:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Gerald Robert Newman, 65, of Independence, Kansas, died July 23, 2010 at his home.  He was born July 26, 1944, the  son of Gerald Elmer Newman and Doris Mae (Holloway) Newman.

He attended Independence schools, graduating from Independence High School in 1962.  He worked for a time as Assistant Manager of the OTASCO store in Independence and later worked in the oil fields.  In January of 1969, he joined the Independence Police Department and served with the department until his requirement in May of 1999.  He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police, the National Rifle Association, and the Tulsa Cart Racing Association.

On October 3, 1964, at Elk City, Kansas, he was united in marriage to Vickie Welch, and she survives of the home.  Additional survivors include three sons, Curtis Newman and Jeffery Newman, both of Independence, Kansas, and Gerald N. Newman of Longton, Kansas; five grandchildren; his mother Doris Sack of Independence, Kansas; a brother, Joseph Newman of Coffeyville, Kansas; and a sister, Judy Howard of Fredonia, Kansas.

Cremation has taken place.  Memorial services will be held at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, July 29, 2010 at the Penwell-Gabel Webb & Rodrick Chapel , 306 W. Main, Independence, Kansas 67301 with the Reverend Gene Benefiel of Buffalo, Kansas officiating.  Inurnment will be at the West Liberty Cemetery west of Elk City, Kansas.  Friends may call at the funeral home from 12 noon until 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 with the family receiving friends from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.

The family has suggested memorial remembrances to Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice or to the Fraternal Order of Police.  Remembrances will be received at the funeral home.

(taken from the Penwell-Gabel Funeral Home website)

cheyronni

This was my father in law and he was a wonderful man who I miss with all my heart. He served on the Independence police dept for 30 years. He had cancer but never told the family for the last 10 years because he didn't want anyone to make a big deal over him being sick. He fell on July 6th and had to be taken to the hospital and that is when we all found out about the cancer and I helped set up Hospice so he could come home. He insisted that Gerald and I get married before he died which we planned on getting married anyway so on July 23rd we got married and spent some of the day with him and mom and around 8:30pm we got the call that pops had passed away in his sleep. Such a happy day and the ending was horrible! I miss him so much but I know he is watching over us all.

Diane Amberg

That's three of us now that share the same anniversary date.You,Teresa and Me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk