Elk County Historical Society

Started by ddurbin, October 22, 2006, 07:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Oh my gosh, that is one of the sweetest things you have ever said to me.  And just think, I told Micheal Glenn how mean you could be sometimes.  I might have to eat my words, but not today.  No sir, not today.

Teresa

Quote from: Janet Harrington on November 03, 2006, 10:05:43 PM
Oh my gosh, that is one of the sweetest things you have ever said to me.  And just think, I told Micheal Glenn how mean you could be sometimes.
I might have to eat my words, but not today.  No sir, not today.

Just a feeewwwww words??
Can't be all that hard.. chew.. swallow... choke choke choke..
That's all there is to it.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I hope some of you are still planning to attend the meeting of the Historical Society tomorrow.  It should be interesting and I am looking forward to an account of how it goes and what you find out. 
While you are in Moline, why not see what might be left of the cheese plant?  I never get down that way now that it is so easy to get to Wichita on 400.  Since we lived south of Haysville, it was as easy to come over here on 160 as it was to get to 96 to come east.  The drive on 160 almost always netted us some sightings of deer and other wildlife, something you don't see on 400.

genealogynut

Yes, ..........Momma Wilma...........we'll give you a report on the happenings.  If you're wanting to see some deer, just come east on Hi-way 160 over towards the Elk City  Lake, we've got plenty to share, and then some!

Wilma

Seems the last time I went to Independence I did see some turkeys south of the Elk City lake.  We used to take 160 to go to Missouri and would cut off at Elk City to catch 75 north of Independence, then east from Sycamore to Parsons.  I always enjoyed that drive.  Now it's faster to just take 400.  Kind of miss going through Parsons, too.  Always had to make a pit stop at McDonalds.  Especially if Janet was with us.

genealogynut

Upon attending the annual Historical Society this afternoon, I will give a brief summary of the meeting.

David Brace presided over the meeting.  They elected new officers, etc. this year as they couldn't remember who was elected last year, and Mr. Brace couldn't find his notes, etc.  To be on the board of directors, one must live within Elk County. There were 14 people who attended this meeting, with four of them being members of the Howard Forum.  The largest majority of the people present were elderly people.  So if the younger folks would like to see a continuation of the Elk County Historical Society, they need to take an interest in it now.

Reports were given for each museum in regards to projects, events, that took place within the past year.

The only focus of the ECHS happens to be that of the 5 museums that are located in the county.  Any research questions that come their way are referred to someone else.

I went to this meeting with no expectations and was not disapppointed.

As for putting news of this meeting into the paper, I was told they had lots of problems with putting anything into the Flint Hillls Express, then I suggested the Good News Community newspaper, and was told that Shirley Sweet from Grenola would be the one that should write up the column for that.  They do not send out periodic newsletters.

Wilma

This sounds like an organization that needs to be organized.  I was afraid that it was made up of old people that have no interest in progress.  The same could be said of Elk County.  Seems if young people want to make a life here, they will need to become active in keeping it going. 

Where are the young people?  I know they have to earn a living and most of them have to work outside the county, but if they showed more interest maybe the old duffers would get off their duffs.  History has to be preserved or there will be no history.

Kudos, and yes, Janet, kudos is a word, to those who have access to information and are willing to share it.  I am willing to do whatever I can but I need someone to tell me what to do. 

Have I become a preacher, too, Lois?

genealogynut

Momma Wilma...........That was very well said.  I liked the way you worded it.  And no, you didn't sound like you were preaching.  I feel sorry for Don when I get to "romping and stomping, rip and snorting, ranting and raving" ........(now that, is real preaching!)  It's no wonder he ducks and runs to the garage!   :laugh: :laugh:

Mom70x7

QuoteI was told they had lots of problems with putting anything into the Flint Hillls Express,

I don't work for the paper, but I take exception to that.  >:(  I've had NO problems getting meeting notices in the newspaper. The only time they goofed was with the Wilnerds anniversary announcement.

I've sent in stories about town events, school activities, church things and all of them have been printed in the paper. I think the biggest problem is getting the information to them.

That said, about the meeting today, and research in general. I AM interested, I just haven't started up again. I bought a computer program a couple of months ago, but haven't even installed it yet.  :-[

As a curiosity -

what are the 5 museums in the county? Would someone list them, please.

genealogynut

What I had posted earlier, was merely reporting what information was given to me. I had no intention of "ruffling any feathers."  Perhaps you would like to continue the conversation with Mrs. David Brace.

But that makes twice I have heard the same thing, and the statement came from two different people.  I also know that Flint Hills Express requests that news articles be "short and to the point."  The write up for the Elk County Historical Society is usually pretty lengthy, from what I remember seeing a few years ago, when it was in the Good News Community newspaper.

The 5 museums in Elk County are located at Longton, Elk Falls, Moline, Grenola and Howard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk