Arizona Immigration Law Backed by Most Americans, Survey Finds

Started by Warph, May 13, 2010, 12:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Arizona Immigration Law Backed by Most Americans, Survey Finds
May 12, 2010, 12:52 PM EDT
By Chris Dolmetsch

May 12 (Bloomberg) -- Almost three-quarters of Americans support a provision of a new Arizona immigration law that requires people to produce documents verifying they are in the U.S. legally, a survey said.

About 73 percent of those polled by the Washington-based Pew Research Center for the People & the Press said they approve of the plan, while 23 percent said they disapproved, according to the survey released today. About 67 percent said they agree with letting police detain anyone who can't verify their legal status, compared with 29 percent who disapproved.

When asked if police should be allowed to question anyone they think may be in the country illegally, about 62 percent said they approved and 35 percent disapproved. More than half, 59 percent, said they supported the new Arizona law as a whole, while 32 percent said they don't support the legislation.

Governor Jan Brewer signed legislation last month that makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and requires local police to determine the immigration status of anyone suspected of being in the country without proper documentation. The action sparked protests and calls for boycotts of Arizona.

The law was supported by a majority of Republicans (82 percent), less than half of Democrats (45 percent) and 64 percent of independents, according to the survey. Among adults younger than 30 years old, 45 percent said they approved of the legislation, compared with 57 percent of those ages 30-49, 65 percent of those 50-64 and 74 percent of those over 65.

The survey of 994 adults was conducted by telephone from May 6 to May 9 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

--Editors: Mark Schoifet, Bill Schmick
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-12/arizona-immigration-law-backed-by-most-americans-survey-finds.html

Okay.... after reading AZ Gov. Jan Brewers' Immigration Law, I totally agree with it.  Arizona Governor Jan Brewer, is to be commended for her stance on illegal immigration, and her refusal to back down, in the face of all the threats and criticism, thrown her way.  The lame street media ,(MSNBC, CNN, NY Times} and other liberal leaning media nuts, including our great Law Professor President Obuthead, all who seem to determined to profess the new law, as an affront and an insult to our country.  Well... golly gee.... how do they reconcile the fact that it is (mostly) a mirror image of US Federal law on Illegal immigration?   Its hard to believe, that all of these experts, would either fail to know this, or have even read the Arizona Immigration law, before remarking negatively about it.  Keep up the good work Governor Brewer, that is the message we should all be sending her !!!

Now lets see.... what other laws are being ignored?  Oh Yeah!  Take a minute to check out California Penal code 113, 114 and 115, (and 834B, which was modified in March 2010).  There wasn't any negative comments from the media, left or right, on that law, oops... guess what... its not being enforced anyway... is it just for show?  What the hell is with the CA Atty. Gen.?  Here he wants to boycott Arizona for Gov. Brewer's Law and he hasn't the guts to enforce his own law.  Very typical stupid, stupid, Califonia politics!  No wonder they let themselves go into the toilet over the 3.2M illegal aliens in their state!
We need to get LarryJ on the CA Atty Gen ass.  Go get 'em, Larry!   Straighten 'em out.  :police:    ....Warph

The following is the "Voter Approved" CA Law aimed at dealing with illegal aliens, you know, the one the Atty.Gen. is not enforcing:

CALIFORNIA PENAL CODES PERTAINING TO ILLEGALS

SECTION 113
113. ......(a) Any person who manufactures or sells any false government document with the intent to conceal the true citizenship or resident alien status of another person is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for one year. Every false government document that is manufactured or sold in violation of this section may be charged and prosecuted as a separate and distinct violation, and consecutive sentences may be imposed for each violation.
......(b) A prosecuting attorney shall have discretion to charge a defendant with a violation of this section or any other law that applies.
......(c) As used in this section, "government document" means any document issued by the United States government or any state or local government, including, but not limited to, any passport, immigration visa, employment authorization card, birth certificate, driver's license, identification card, or social security card.
113. Any person who manufactures, distributes or sells false documents to conceal the true citizenship or resident alien status of another person is guilty of a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for five years or by a fine of seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000).

SECTION 114
114. Any person who uses false documents to conceal his or her true citizenship or resident alien status is guilty of a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for five years or by a fine of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000).

SECTION 115
115 ...... (a)
Every person who knowingly procures or offers any false or forged instrument to be filed, registered, or recorded in any public office within this state, which instrument, if genuine, might be filed, registered, or recorded under any law of this state or of the United States, is guilty of a felony.
......(b) Each instrument which is procured or offered to be filed, registered, or recorded in violation of subdivision (a) shall constitute a separate violation of this section.
......(c) Except in unusual cases where the interests of justice would best be served if probation is granted, probation shall not be granted to, nor shall the execution or imposition of sentence be suspended for, any of the following persons:
(1) Any person with a prior conviction under this section who is again convicted of a violation of this section in a separate proceeding.
(2) Any person who is convicted of more than one violation of this section in a single proceeding, with intent to defraud another, and where the violations resulted in a cumulative financial loss exceeding one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).
......(d) For purposes of prosecution under this section, each act of procurement or of offering a false or forged instrument to be filed, registered, or recorded shall be considered a separately punishable offense.
115.1 ...... (a) The Legislature finds and declares that the voters of California are entitled to accurate representations in materials that are directed to them in efforts to influence how they vote.
......(b) No person shall publish or cause to be published, with intent to deceive, any campaign advertisement containing a signature that the person knows to be unauthorized.
......(c) For purposes of this section, "campaign advertisement" means any communication directed to voters by means of a mass mailing as defined in Section 82041.5 of the Government Code, a paid television, radio, or newspaper advertisement, an outdoor advertisement, or any other printed matter, if the expenditures for that communication are required to be reported by Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 84100) of Title 9 of the Government Code.
......(d) For purposes of this section, an authorization to use a signature shall be oral or written.
......(e) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit a person from publishing or causing to be published a reproduction of all or part of a document containing an actual or authorized signature, provided that the signature so reproduced shall not, with the intent to deceive, be incorporated into another document in a manner that falsely suggests that the person whose signature is reproduced has signed the other document.
......(f) Any knowing or willful violation of this section is a public offense punishable by imprisonment in the state prison or in a county jail, or by a fine not to exceed fifty thousand dollars ($50,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.
......(g) As used in this section, "signature" means either of the following:
(1) A handwritten or mechanical signature, or a copy thereof.
(2) Any representation of a person's name, including, but not limited to, a printed or typewritten representation, that serves the same purpose as a handwritten or mechanical signature.
115.2 ...... (a) No person shall publish or cause to be published, with actual knowledge, and intent to deceive, any campaign advertisement containing false or fraudulent depictions, or false or fraudulent representations, of official public documents or purported official public documents.
......(b) For purposes of this section, "campaign advertisement" means any communication directed to voters by means of a mass mailing as defined in Section 82041.5 of the Government Code, a paid newspaper advertisement, an outdoor advertisement, or any other printed matter, if the expenditures for that communication are required to be reported by Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 84100) of Title 9 of the Government Code.
......(c) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail, or by a fine not to exceed fifty thousand dollars ($50,000), or both.
115.25 ...... (a) No person or entity shall authorize the production or distribution, or participate in the authorization of the production or distribution, of any document, including, but not limited to, any campaign advertisement, as defined in subdivision (d), that the person or entity knows contains inaccurate emergency service phone numbers for various emergency services, including, but not limited to, police, fire, or ambulance services.
......(b) A violation of subdivision (a) shall be an infraction, punishable by a fine not exceeding two hundred fifty dollars ($250).
......(c) A violation of subdivision (a) resulting in the serious injury or death of persons who innocently rely on the erroneous phone numbers contained in the document is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
......(d) For purposes of this section, "campaign advertisement" means any communication directed to voters by means of a mass mailing, as defined in Section 82041.5 of the Government Code, a paid television, radio, or newspaper advertisement, an outdoor advertisement, or any other printed matter, if the expenditures for that communication are required to be reported by Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 84100) of Title 9 of the Government Code.
115.3 ...... Any person who alters a certified copy of an official record, or knowingly furnishes an altered certified copy of an official record, of this state, including the executive, legislative, and judicial branches thereof, or of any city, county, city and county, district, or political subdivision thereof, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
115.5 ...... (a) Every person who files any false or forged document or instrument with the county recorder which affects title to, places an encumbrance on, or places an interest secured by a mortgage or deed of trust on, real property consisting of a single-family residence containing not more than four dwelling units, with knowledge that the document is false or forged, is punishable, in addition to any other punishment, by a fine not exceeding seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000).
......(b) Every person who makes a false sworn statement to a notary public, with knowledge that the statement is false, to induce the notary public to perform an improper notarial act on an instrument or document affecting title to, or placing an encumbrance on, real property consisting of a single-family residence containing not more than four dwelling units is guilty of a felony.

and the new section 834b which was added last month:

SECTION 834b
03/20/10

834b ......(a) Every law enforcement agency in California shall fully cooperate with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service regarding any person who is arrested if he or she is suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws.

......(b) With respect to any such person who is arrested, and suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws, every law enforcement agency shall do the following:

(1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding documentation to indicate his or her legal status.

(2) Notify the person of his or her apparent status as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws and inform him or her that, apart from any criminal justice proceedings, he or she must either obtain legal status or leave the United States.

(3) Notify the Attorney General of California and the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service of the apparent illegal status and provide any additional information that may be requested by any other public entity.

......(c) Any legislative, administrative, or other action by a city, county, or other legally authorized local governmental entity with jurisdictional boundaries, or by a law enforcement agency, to prevent or limit the cooperation required by subdivision (a) is expressly prohibited. 
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

larryJ

Good Morning, Warph!

I will do my best about the Atty. Gen thingie.  There is, after all, a primary election coming in which we shall elect an Atty. Gen.

The state of California and the City of Lost Angeles have come out as against the law passed in Arizona.  Even yesterday, the city of Los Angeles voted to keep city employees from doing business with Arizona and canceling some contracts it has with the state.  Any city of Los Angeles business shall be curtailed and city employees will no longer be allowed to drive or fly to Arizona to conduct city business.  (Personally, I think that these measures are designed not so much to protest Arizona's law, but to insure that all those illegal immigrants will not move to California to get away from Arizona.)

California, as briefly mentioned in the articles above, has a similar law.  Our law enforcement officers can't pull over someone simply because they might be illegal.  They can, however, pull someone over for an infraction of the law and then check their immigration status, and then turn them over to the INS.  California does not have a specific law that imposes fines or jail time just for being in the state illegally because they let the INS do the work. 

Personally, I kinda, sorta agree with the law in Arizona now that I have learned of the scope of the problems there.  What bothers me most is that the state has to take such actions because the Feds aren't doing their job.  Our government can spend billions in bailout moneys or in aid to foreign countries.  But, they say they can't spend more money to protect our own borders.  And, the government frowns on civilian groups who volunteer their time to go south and stand guard because they don't want vigilante rule. 

What's next?  Will a faction of attorneys get together and file a lawsuit in the Supreme Court regarding the constitutionality of this law?  Will the Feds slap Arizona's hand and say they have committed a "no-no"?  Will the State of Arizona get really ticked and try to secede from the Union?  Will Arizona, in the future, make it legal for landowners on the border to "shoot first and ask questions later" when they see people on their land?  Or, will landowners on the border just take the law into their own hands and just shoot anyone on their land and dig a deep hole for them?   

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Varmit

I like the shoot first and ask questions later idea.  We've got enough scum and freeloaders of our own without having to worry about the shit coming over the border.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

larryJ

I have received an answer to one of the questions I asked above and I had prepared a lengthy reply, but with the announcement that Arizona supplies 25% of California's electricity, I have to stop now and go to the garage in search of my camping equipment such as lanterns, camp stove, etc.  I also need to go to the store for more flashlights, batteries, etc.  However, this prompts new questions------------Will California and Arizona declare war on each other?  Should California attack Arizona in order to secure it's energy supply?  Can Arizona defend two borders, i.e., California and Mexico?  Has nobody realized that the natural gas lines from Texas run through Arizona?  Should I have a third cup of coffee this morning?

Sheeeeeeeeeeesh.

Larryj

jarhead

Larry, my friend. You worry too much. Have you forgot about the bunker I've been building ? If the sun shines tomorrow we are going to pour the roof on it. With all this rain I'm expecting a bumper crop of green beans that will stock the shelves, along with canned carp so we can have meat with our veggies. R.A.M.B.O. does like green beans  with his fish---if not I will start gathering road kill armadillos for him.

srkruzich

I think the LA powers that be jumped into this without thinking at all. Looks like Arizona has California by the shorthairs!!!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

CARP??????  :P Cat yes, carp, ICK. One can only eat so much gefilte fish! ;D

jarhead

Diane,
You don't know what you're missing if you've never ate carp-----if it's dressed and cooked right. Their biggest downfall is the "Y" bones they are full of but  remove the dark meat called the mud vien,put a tad of salt---a dallop of Catalina dressing and pressure cook them puppies and the "Y" bones dissolve and sit back and enjoy. If it's a big carp, filet the belly meat off and just fry it. It's boneless. Now if you think I'm blowing smoke up your bohunkes just ask ol Sarge and I bet he'll tell you the same thing. :)
The grass carp, or moss eaters or what ever they are called are excellant eating. Not near as much "red meat" as the ol river carp and you take a 25-30 pounder of them and the "Y" bones are big enough to pull out as you eat it. I smoke the filets in my smoker over hickory and it's ever bit as good as smoked steelhead.

larryJ

Danged, Jarhead, you still building that thing?  It oughta be the size of a three-story Motel 6 by now.  R.A.M.B.O. is still working on his, you know, the one he started over a month ago.  He is moving right along considering his small paws.  His bunker is now about the size of the bath tub.  He doesn't work steadily at it, cuz of his tanning time, surfing lessons, etiquette classes and his 18 hour sleep schedule.  Green beans and a good carp sound deliciouso (sorry, been watching too much Dora with the granddaughter).  Didn't know there were armadillos there. 

Srkruzich, you are absolutely right.  Kinda gives you the impression or picture of someone walking across a cow pasture without looking down.

Larryj

Diane Amberg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk