Rural Library Broadband

Started by Leonardcrl, May 10, 2010, 12:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonardcrl

From the Technology Marketing Corporation (TMC) included this in their news alert.
I'm sure that somebody in the area is following all opportunities to grab as much tax payer $$ as possible for Elk County.  Thought I'd give you a heads up since most people don't follow this particular niche.

Broadband Initiatives Program
May 07, 2010 (FIND, Inc. via COMTEX) -- SUMMARY: The Rural Utilities Service (RUS) announced its general policy and application procedures for the second round of funding under the broadband initiatives (the Second Round NOFA), established pursuant to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act) for the Broadband Initiatives Program (BIP), on January 22, 2010 at 74 FR 3820. In that Second Round NOFA, RUS announced the opening of a future window for specific grants for Satellite, Rural Library Broadband, and Technical Assistance, and that any requirements would be outlined in the Request for Proposals (RFP). This RFP outlines those requirements.

BTW:  TMCs audience are the various bandits, leeches, whatever; that want to get paid for writing the grant applications.
Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

Varmit

What a complete waste of tax dollars. >:(
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Rural library broad band is a waste? How so?

Roma Jean Turner

I have the same question.  Having broadband in rural libraries I think would be a help to people.  If I lived in a rural area I would want that and someone has to write the grants and that takes time.

greatguns

I should think it would be a great thing.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 10, 2010, 04:44:50 PM
Rural library broad band is a waste? How so?
Libraries should be locally or state funded, after the basic needs are met.  Its just like any business or family budget, you pay for housing first, utils second, ect ...... then you get to budget for entertainment ect and if theres not enough money then it doesn't get funded.

Feds don't belong in state business.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

Computer is not always used for entertainment.  They use them for learning tools as this is 2010.

Rudy Taylor

Computer technology expands the usage of reading and viewing resources in our local libraries. In today's world, books are only part of the overall process for learning, entertainment and cultural interaction.  Local libraries all over the country are taking advantage of the Rural Library Initiative. Such programs help us to connect with someone else, other than those who share our own beliefs, opinions and experiences. Heaven knows we need more opportunities for expanding our horizons.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Varmit

I agree that computers, technology, and the internet are all pretty great things.  Libraries are even greater.  My point is this, if the citizens of an area want broadband capabilities in their library then it should be paid for through donations from the folks that want it.  It should not be financed through grants provided by  taxpayer money. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

You're making a excellent point, Billy.  By the way, it's probable that it's borrowed money, perhaps it's borrowed from China, instead of taxpayer money.  Either way, it's not the right thing to do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk