Roses

Started by Wilma, April 21, 2010, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Since I am afraid of over fertilizing, I think I will just stick to what you said.  I still need to look into the systemic black spot thing.  I know it is here as my other roses were affected last year.  All I have ever done for it is to try to pick off the affected leaves and keep it cleaned up.

My mother had a Queen Elizabeth (Her Royal Highness) that bloomed up a storm every year.  I hope mine will do the same.  JFK is really magnificent this afternoon.  I hate to cut the only blossom that is on the bush, but I have read that you should cut them when the bushes are newly planted so the plant can concentrate on developing roots and getting settled.

srkruzich

Just a reminder, if you use any pesticide, even the fertilomes which are considered organic, it contains pyrethrins in it.  When you use any pesticide, whether or not its organic or chemical, use a respirator if your spraying or dusting.  Also make sure to cover arms and use gloves.  The sprays will absorb into your skin as well as eyes, and through your nose.

My mom was in the hospital the other day with a nosebleed that she couldn't stop.  She lost about a pint of blood.   We figured it out after i got to her house and saw the empty bottle of fertilome rose spray on the counter.  She had sprayed the roses with it that day.  She sprayed without a mask and was in a hurry so didn't use gloves or shirt over her arms and sprayed upwards to get the tops of her roses.  The spray came back down on her and absorbed in her skin and caused the capillaries in her nose to dialate and break. 

I'm a PITA when it comes to chemical use, organic or non organic in that i always fuss when someone doesn't use proper safety equipment.   To use chemicals you need a niosh respirator and a box of thoses surgical gloves are good enough to prevent exposure.  Eye protection is a must too and will save your eyes since the chemicals can and will cause capillaries in the eyes to break.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

I made some inquiries and was referred to Bayer Advanced All-in-One Rose & Flower Care.  3 Systemic Products in 1.  It would seem to take care of all problems, but being systemic, it raised some questions.  I know systemic means being taken up in the roots and spread through the stems and leaves and that whatever insects feed on it will die.  Fine for the bad insects.  But what about the good insects, like bees and butterflies that feed on the nectar or the lady bugs and praying mantis that feed on other insects?  Do I have anything to worry about here or am I just being overly cautious?  Until I get some answers, none of this is going on my plants.  In fact, I am going to take it back and tell them of my concerns.

Diane, do you know of a black spot preventive that wouldn't be harmful to our friendly insects?

Ms Bear

Wilma, my husband used to spray the roses with water that had a small amount of dawn dish soap in it.  Not sure what bugs he was spraying for but he had beautiful roses.  I haven't killed all of them yet but they sure don't look like they did when he took care of them.

Ole Granny

That would be for mealy bugs or aphids.  It does work.  Just a little dish soap with water and spray.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Diane Amberg

I did some quick checking and will be at Alexander's, our local garden store tomorrow and ask a few more questions. The Ortho fungicide I usually use says it won't harm pollinators and the systemic doesn't either, but I'll ask again tomorrow.  Good questions! The stream of water and a bit of soap breaks the mouth parts on aphids. Sometimes I just squish them.

Ms Bear

Yuck.  I like the spray better than squish.  I do need to get out and try to get the yard looking better.  I have about two-thirds of it mowed for the first time this season and need to get the rest done.  Already mowed one section twice and it is ready again.  Need to get some mulch for the two flower beds I have left.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on May 02, 2010, 05:15:43 PM
I made some inquiries and was referred to Bayer Advanced All-in-One Rose & Flower Care.  3 Systemic Products in 1.  It would seem to take care of all problems, but being systemic, it raised some questions.  I know systemic means being taken up in the roots and spread through the stems and leaves and that whatever insects feed on it will die.  Fine for the bad insects.  But what about the good insects, like bees and butterflies that feed on the nectar or the lady bugs and praying mantis that feed on other insects?  Do I have anything to worry about here or am I just being overly cautious?  Until I get some answers, none of this is going on my plants.  In fact, I am going to take it back and tell them of my concerns.

Diane, do you know of a black spot preventive that wouldn't be harmful to our friendly insects?
You are right, systemic means it goes through the capillaries of the plant. it is in its system.  It contains tebuconazole which is a low hazard to birds, bees and other beneficial insects. 
The msds safety sheet says that you need to wear protective gear to spray this.  gloves, goggles, clothing to cover skin as much as possible and a respirator.  While not lethal it can cause some serious side effects. 

Wilma

If it is so bad for the person using it, why isn't it bad for the bees and butterflies that feed off the flowers?

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on May 03, 2010, 09:12:22 PM
If it is so bad for the person using it, why isn't it bad for the bees and butterflies that feed off the flowers?
It is bad for bees fish and birds.  Not sure about butterflys though.

Its considered low risk to bees birds and fish.  But still if they get into it it will kill them. The reason its low is it will kill the bee or butterfly that gets on it but it won't kill the beehive.  since this is systemic it is in the plant and not a powder that can coat the bee and be carried back to the hive where it kills the other bees.  Sevin dust is one such pesticide that will kill a entire bee hive by a few bees bringing back sevin into the hive on their legs and body. 

Being that this spray is systemic it is in the plant itself so no way for them to bring back the pesticide into the hive and the other bees get contamiated by it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk