George E. Turner Letter Home: Feb 25th 1943 Moline Advance

Started by Roma Jean Turner, October 27, 2006, 08:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

Arundel, Sussex   January 19, 1943

I haven't much news to write about, but might comment a little on the London air raid Sunday night as I don't have naything to say that hasn't been in the papers.
     I was in London yesterday (Monday) as I had to go there and change trains at Victoria station on my way to Bromley, Kent, which is really a part of London, being about 20 minutes trip by electric train from the station.
     I was called there along with some other C.T.C. (Civilian Technical Corps), members from various places for an interview with an R.A.F. squadron leader, regarding our work, and to consider us for advancement and higher ratings.  I don't know whether anything will come of it, but it was a nice little trip at government expense anyway.  I wasn't in London very long, but of course every one was talking abou the raid, but there was very little damage done and most of the casualities were due to people being out, wandering around, watching the barrage and getting hit by flace from the Ack- Ack guns.  They saay there has never been such a mess of stuff put up over a city anywhere as they can put up over London now with the much improved guns they have installed since it was last raided over a year ago, and I don't doubt it.  I could see the barrage from here in Arundel and we are more than sixty miles away and it was prettier than a Fourth of July fireworks display.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk